2 or 3 or 5 hundred years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 or 3 or 5 hundred years

Your living in the far future. The legend of the chase is just that now. A legend that was lost from time. Your at an antiques shop just browsing and you find an old dusty book titled The Thrill of the Chase. You don't know anything about the chase other than the old tales handed down from parents to children as the technology of that era has long past. You begin to read thru the book and realize it has to do with that old tale of a crazy old man that left a treasure chest full of gold somewhere in the rocky mountains and so you make a bargain for the book. When you get home you read thru it and that is really all you have to go on for finding the lost treasure.

Now what would be your first thought of the word Brown? Person, Place, or Thing?
    The answer for me is simple.. person.

simple for me too, kinda a place and kinda a thing, but not a person, only this is my last lifetime on this plane.

Comment

IMO, it's not a person
      To be right for someone, you have to be willing to be wrong for someone else.

Comment

Our minds tend to think person place or thing when something is capitalized. It could be a zillion things, really. So, about the MW that Fenn keeps talking about. Stretch those two out and overlap them and you’ve got a nice DNA helix. Does that suggest it’s a person?

Comment

I don't know but the smell makes me hungry.
          Miles up in the air he flew, He just murmured, Toodle-oo!

Comment

Originally posted by JChere View Post
            Your living in the far future. The legend of the chase is just that now. A legend that was lost from time. Your at an antiques shop just browsing and you find an old dusty book titled The Thrill of the Chase. You don't know anything about the chase other than the old tales handed down from parents to children as the technology of that era has long past. You begin to read thru the book and realize it has to do with that old tale of a crazy old man that left a treasure chest full of gold somewhere in the rocky mountains and so you make a bargain for the book. When you get home you read thru it and that is really all you have to go on for finding the lost treasure.

Now what would be your first thought of the word Brown? Person, Place, or Thing?
            I don't literally feel your frustration, because it's yours. But I sympathize/empathize. Since it's capitalized, the word Brown to me indicates that it's associated with the name Brown, which is associated
            with a person. This is my opinion (even though it may also be shared/owned by others, for their benefit and enjoyment).

Comment

Originally posted by Coinaster

It is capitalized because it is a proper name.... But that does not have to be a person! It could be a person, place or thing or a group of people or group of animals or even fish such as Brown Trout!
              Yup
              To be right for someone, you have to be willing to be wrong for someone else.

Comment

after all this time none seems to be able to let go of the bias we've accumulated or noise that we listen too. What would it really be like for some one in the future that I lightly describe with no information to go on except the book with the poem. Would they be able to find the first clue and know it was the first clue or would they see the name Brown and concentrate on that. What would it really be like to not have any fenny info. just a thought.

Comment

after all this time none seems to be able to let go of the bias we've accumulated or noise that we listen too. What would it really be like for some one in the future that I lightly describe with no information to go on except the book with the poem. Would they be able to find the first clue and know it was the first clue or would they see the name Brown and concentrate on that. What would it really be like to not have any fenny info. just a thought.
                  I really like this thinking. I catch myself time and time again- diving deep into Wikipedia pages and making connections wild connections and even simple logical ones.
                  But it’s not about history, it’s not about research- it’s in the poem and it’s logic used in conjunction with a good map. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

Comment

Before I take a nap from all this fun and spectaculation...

Here's a nice magic rug that brings the planet together ~
                    Miles up in the air he flew, He just murmured, Toodle-oo!

Comment

I like the story created here. I don't think a person as that is too specific. I believe a person could come to a conclusion that it is both a place and thing. It is not either or but both.

With only the book in hand, I believe that person's chance of finding the treasure would be very high as they wouldn't have the distractions of the internet.

Comment

oh give me a home where the Buffalo roam.. second version of that song ties in with my location... the second version of that song is about cooke city and its surrounds. brown is a persons name but... also the home of Mr Buffalo. look up home on the range and follow the Wikipedia link, version two of the song.

Comment

Working...
                        X