Greatest Men

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greatest Men

Are you among the greatest? What does that mean now in America.

Men? Eh...... https://youtu.be/KHGHkGmOmD4
    “Positivity triumphs over negativity” - famous quote by the famous Cowlazars 2018

Comment

Originally posted by kpro View Post
      Click image for larger version

Name:	67BB1853-B157-4CDF-A589-CF429FFA6564.jpeg
Views:	284
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	130514

Comment

Originally posted by Seabiscuit View Post
        Are you among the greatest? What does that mean now in America.
        Why would you think it different now than in any other time in history? Maybe something does get lost in translation- the good qualities of a man added to history books with the bad qualities scrubbed.
        I think the concept remains the same though: Integrity, Honesty, Compassion, as much Self-reliance as one person can have, Just, Merciful, a desire to make the world a better place than he found it, Positive, Playful.
        A person doesn’t have to be famous or rich or win prizes for their accomplishments to be be Great. I believe they just have to touch the people around them with a genuine grace, to remain hopeful in adversity, humble in their kindness, encouraging others to be better themselves, and to love like Love can’t run out of itself.
        Maybe that’s too optimistic or gushy, but then, I’m a woman.

Comment

I thought that was spot on Rose.

Comment

Yes, I followed a CNN link today on leadership and George H. W. Bush. I’m pretty sure Barbara factored in a lot. Anyway, greatest leaders I meant. Honesty and compassion. Strength and wisdom. I’ll say Obama answers there, just like other Presidents before. What’s it mean though for you and me. A 25 year old with cancer in remission today talked about legacy and things he thought were admirable. The idea of greatness has changed with the passing of generations. For example now I think marriage is throwaway and there must be something else that defines what is a relationship.

Comment

Yes, I followed a CNN link today on leadership and George H. W. Bush. I’m pretty sure Barbara factored in a lot. Anyway, greatest leaders I meant. Honesty and compassion. Strength and wisdom. I’ll say Obama answers there, just like other Presidents before. What’s it mean though for you and me. A 25 year old with cancer in remission today talked about legacy and things he thought were admirable. The idea of greatness has changed with the passing of generations. For example now I think marriage is throwaway and there must be something else that defines what is a relationship.
              I hear what you’re saying here. Every person defines the qualities they find admirable in others, and we’d probably see these scattered all across the board. Sometimes this choice can highlight an issue within themselves- for example, the bullied child may admire the strength required to beat people up, thinking they would steward the quality to a greater good- to protect those unable to defend themselves. In their mind they see their aggressor as unworthy of such a gift and may even feel a strike of self-doubt that they weren’t also blessed in the same way without understanding all the possible reasons why their gifts differ. (And I do think we’re all given a hodge-podge of differing gifts- that’s why no one can stand forever apart, forever estranged and abandoned, forever alone. Humanity’s greatest concept, not unlike penguins or ants or any other social group species, is our cooperative diversity. We need each other to thrive if not survive- each person’s gifts fitting holes in the group armor.)
              There’s no doubt there are generational differences in attitude toward specific subjects- you mentioned matrimony/relationships. It’s easy to look at, say, women’s sufferage, entrance into the workforce outside of the home, the freedom of birth control, and the sexual revolution as inexplicably quick changes in society instead of the bursting of a dam of unsatisfied, uncontrollable women that felt repressed for 60k years, and finally reached a tipping point where they didn’t have to be repressed any more. It’s harder to see yet alone understand the confusing emasculation men probably went through in this same time- after all, they no longer had easy street with a bought in bride price ‘servant’ to manage their life, children, homestead, and happiness. This ‘marital bliss’ that men of the time simply expected from their possession had (has) a darker side of abuse and tolerance of abuse. I’d say it’s fairly equal over time- the amount of women who poisoned their husbands and the amount of men who violently killed their wives. But then I think a little differently than some if not most. I wouldn’t say that marriage nowadays is disposable- it’s just no longer the murder/suicide/violent end it once was- that it once had to be before the concept of divorce. Women no longer have to inherit money to be independent; they can go earn it. (This goes too for men in the reverse situation, I’m just using an example. ) Add to that mix an eye opening view to the world wide web of alternate possibilities, alternate lifestyles, alternate paths and the actual ability to traverse to a different local by interstate or plane or whatever, and it’s not difficult to see why contemporary relationships have different expectations of partnership or happiness.
              I get it. My parents and my grandparents all had lifelong successful marriages. I grew up thinking that was the only correct way- I never judged others for divorce, but was sure that wasn’t in my stars. Early heartbreak and a series of questionable choices later and I realized that ideal of relationship bliss depends entirely on the connection between people and not on fake broken promises or societal expectations of ‘just deal with the pain’. Some connections make us stronger and some make us weaker. I’ll admit my ideals of longevity caused me to get very weak before I even realized what was going on. Good thing I had a reserve. These days I keep my heart in the sky, hoping one day penance for my foolish expectations will cease. Only Time can tell, but He doesn’t talk to me.
              We all have daemons working to bring self-doubt, maybe fear, maybe a mind-numbing anguish, or remind us of our failures which may have even been paid for long ago. I don’t know why memories seem weighted higher for the negative, but like I said, I think different so that may not be universal. I can tell you have a good heart Seabiscuit, if only in your desire to right wrongs and understand surroundings. Life is fluid- a movement that doesn’t stop until you find calm joy or give up trying.
              Calm joy is waiting for you. We got your back. Pax vobiscum mari.
              Last edited by Rose Livingstone; 11-30-2019, 01:22 AM.

Comment

Rose. One of my ancestors is Rose. :-) although I don’t think I’m to be held by two hands and revered. Genes. No reverence here. As far as giving up or trying, I think that is a human thing. What inspires us? What inspires you? What life is more valuable? 2 million... but I think I now understand the value of anything is what someone would part with or pay. Insurance values are askew due to this and that. I think Forrest Fenn and his Peggy are an example of sticking to it. That is Something to be proud of. Cheating used to be secret. This practice was under the table and considered a normal part of what is considered a “balance.” Now social media makes it easy, and perhaps integrity is on the rise. The end result is hurt for some and joy for some. And the idea is to “get over it.” The Greatest Generation didn’t include women I think. Peggy, for example, and even me, a Gen X, are sidekicks. We’re not Mason members. We’re not peace ambassadors. We’re only the birthday girls dependent on our Greatest Men, who are a different kind of great now compared to the men of Forrest Fenn’s era. I don’t know what the answer is. Get a penis, girls? Love but have an expiration date? Become a member of the Iroquois nation? IDK. I’d love Forrest to do a scrapbook on that. Not about dolls in the room but women that lead and are admirable.

Comment

Rose. One of my ancestors is Rose. :-) although I don’t think I’m to be held by two hands and revered. Genes. No reverence here. As far as giving up or trying, I think that is a human thing. What inspires us? What inspires you? What life is more valuable? 2 million... but I think I now understand the value of anything is what someone would part with or pay. Insurance values are askew due to this and that. I think Forrest Fenn and his Peggy are an example of sticking to it. That is Something to be proud of. Cheating used to be secret. This practice was under the table and considered a normal part of what is considered a “balance.” Now social media makes it easy, and perhaps integrity is on the rise. The end result is hurt for some and joy for some. And the idea is to “get over it.” The Greatest Generation didn’t include women I think. Peggy, for example, and even me, a Gen X, are sidekicks. We’re not Mason members. We’re not peace ambassadors. We’re only the birthday girls dependent on our Greatest Men, who are a different kind of great now compared to the men of Forrest Fenn’s era. I don’t know what the answer is. Get a penis, girls? Love but have an expiration date? Become a member of the Iroquois nation? IDK. I’d love Forrest to do a scrapbook on that. Not about dolls in the room but women that lead and are admirable.
                  Peggy is the one with balls to have to deal with Forrest all these years. Go Peggy? Female lions do the killing!

Comment

Originally posted by Rose Livingstone View Post

I hear what you’re saying here. Every person defines the qualities they find admirable in others, and we’d probably see these scattered all across the board. Sometimes this choice can highlight an issue within themselves- for example, the bullied child may admire the strength required to beat people up, thinking they would steward the quality to a greater good- to protect those unable to defend themselves. In their mind they see their aggressor as unworthy of such a gift and may even feel a strike of self-doubt that they weren’t also blessed in the same way without understanding all the possible reasons why their gifts differ. (And I do think we’re all given a hodge-podge of differing gifts- that’s why no one can stand forever apart, forever estranged and abandoned, forever alone. Humanity’s greatest concept, not unlike penguins or ants or any other social group species, is our cooperative diversity. We need each other to thrive if not survive- each person’s gifts fitting holes in the group armor.)
                    There’s no doubt there are generational differences in attitude toward specific subjects- you mentioned matrimony/relationships. It’s easy to look at, say, women’s sufferage, entrance into the workforce outside of the home, the freedom of birth control, and the sexual revolution as inexplicably quick changes in society instead of the bursting of a dam of unsatisfied, uncontrollable women that felt repressed for 60k years, and finally reached a tipping point where they didn’t have to be repressed any more. It’s harder to see yet alone understand the confusing emasculation men probably went through in this same time- after all, they no longer had easy street with a bought in bride price ‘servant’ to manage their life, children, homestead, and happiness. This ‘marital bliss’ that men of the time simply expected from their possession had (has) a darker side of abuse and tolerance of abuse. I’d say it’s fairly equal over time- the amount of women who poisoned their husbands and the amount of men who violently killed their wives. But then I think a little differently than some if not most. I wouldn’t say that marriage nowadays is disposable- it’s just no longer the murder/suicide/violent end it once was- that it once had to be before the concept of divorce. Women no longer have to inherit money to be independent; they can go earn it. (This goes too for men in the reverse situation, I’m just using an example. ) Add to that mix an eye opening view to the world wide web of alternate possibilities, alternate lifestyles, alternate paths and the actual ability to traverse to a different local by interstate or plane or whatever, and it’s not difficult to see why contemporary relationships have different expectations of partnership or happiness.
                    I get it. My parents and my grandparents all had lifelong successful marriages. I grew up thinking that was the only correct way- I never judged others for divorce, but was sure that wasn’t in my stars. Early heartbreak and a series of questionable choices later and I realized that ideal of relationship bliss depends entirely on the connection between people and not on fake broken promises or societal expectations of ‘just deal with the pain’. Some connections make us stronger and some make us weaker. I’ll admit my ideals of longevity caused me to get very weak before I even realized what was going on. Good thing I had a reserve. These days I keep my heart in the sky, hoping one day penance for my foolish expectations will cease. Only Time can tell, but He doesn’t talk to me.
                    We all have daemons working to bring self-doubt, maybe fear, maybe a mind-numbing anguish, or remind us of our failures which may have even been paid for long ago. I don’t know why memories seem weighted higher for the negative, but like I said, I think different so that may not be universal. I can tell you have a good heart Seabiscuit, if only in your desire to right wrongs and understand surroundings. Life is fluid- a movement that doesn’t stop until you find calm joy or give up trying.
                    Calm joy is waiting for you. We got your back. Pax vobiscum mari.
                    Your name suits you. Your voice is beautiful like a Rose. Yes you Rose, Thank you for your input.
                    Last edited by Hint; 11-30-2019, 01:22 PM.

Comment

Peggy has balls? Boy did you miss what I was talking about. Also Rose is at least two gens older than I am. I understand that reality but didn’t see it even as a child. I’m 51.

Comment

And thanks Rose.

Comment

Well this was in Britain, but it means grabbing a narwhal tusk off the wall when you need to:

https://www.foxnews.com/world/london...-tusk-chef.amp

Comment

Working...
                          X