Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Pillow Fight (heard round the world)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Pillow Fight (heard round the world)

In 2018 Mr. Fenn made his “gut feeling” remark. That much we know for sure. Since that time, rumors of a “Lead Searcher” have spread like wildfire.

Chasers speculate that every Scrapbook, interview, and remark MUST BE an encrypted message for that ONE individual.

And yet, that speculation is starkly opposed by the complete lack of a ‘find’ – but still, the cryptic SB’s just keep on coming.

What are we to make of this?
    HOW can there be a ‘finder’ but no treasure?
    and WHY all the Scrapbooks, now chock-full of NUMBERS, dolls, and seemingly cryptic messages?
    Well, I have a THEORY …
    WHAT IF …
    Fenn’s coded messages are not meant to GUIDE LS to TC; what if they’re actually NEGOTIATIONS??
    Let me explain …
    What IF, upon discovering Mr. Fenn’s secret spot -- the place so beautiful and serene Fenn claims he wishes to “pillow down for eternity” –
    a place with water, animals, mountains, a marvelous gaze, and on and on –
    well, what if the LS became so enamored with Fenn’s SPOT, he decided he wanted to claim it for himself?
    (a possibility Fenn perhaps never conceived of when designing The Chase …)

Fenn probably imagined that some fortunate finder would feel grateful just to claim the chest of gold, and certainly THAT benevolent gesture would be ENOUGH.
    But maybe Fenn underestimated his Huckleberry, if not in wit, certainly in sheer GREED.

What if the Lead Searcher wants it ALL – the whole Kit & Kaboodle – the chest, the jewels, the amulets, the fetishes, the gold, AND the SPOT to boot?!

Wouldn’t this explain a thing or two? –
    YEARS of titillation in the search community –
    YEARS of a seeming Goal-Line situation with no END in sight –
    YEARS of cryptic messages with no finish.

If the scenario I describe is the case, then the past few years of Scrapbooks aren’t really clues at all; rather, they’re NEGOTATIONS!

NEGOTIATIONS …

Doesn’t that explain allllll the numbers, which to us seem RANDOM, and seem to have no end?

Doesn’t that explain all the CHAOS – all the disparate talk of the value of things –
    paintings, dolls, cars, fetishes, books, rights, land, cabins, museum pieces, jewelry, donations …
    (and I’m just spit balling here)

I think the Lead Searcher is a HUSTLER
    (and I don’t just mean hard worker)

LS is playing POKER with Fenn.
    You see, LS knows the one thing Fenn prizes more than any other worldly possession is …
    THAT SPOT.

The TC itself, while beautiful, is mere chump change to Fenn in comparison.
    And let’s face it, old man Fenn’s pockets run deep.
    PLUS, LS (let’s call him HUSTLE) holds Fenn’s prized BRACELET.

So what we’ve been witnessing is no longer the CHASE. That ended two years ago.

What we have been watching for the last 24 months or so is the …

WORLD SERIES OF POKER!

Only two remain at the table … The JOKER v The HUSTLER

And while the former has more chips, HUSTLE seems to be running the board.
    Right now, at least.
    Fenn has gotten so mad at times at the audacity of HUSTLE, we know he has broken mirrors, flattened tires,
    and many more wild acts alluded to in SB’s if you go read them. He even threw a JACK onto the table,
    perhaps just as an intimidation tactic, and mentioned a vacuum cleaner just to say, "Hustle, you SUCK!"

But ultimately, Fenn’s not the violent type. His war days are over.
    He has everything a man could want or need, and these are his years of PEACE.

Until … along came HUSTLE to ruffle his feathers a bit.

Now HUSTLE has the ONE THING Fenn wants.
    Maybe it’s good for Fenn, and maybe HUSTLE did it out of love, the way men rib one another,
    which can seem harsh or even cruel from a woman’s perspective, is really just male affection.

Maybe HUSTLE wants to goad Fenn onward to live to be 125 before he finally “pillows down”
    and he knows STEALING HIS GRAVE SPOT is JUST the way to do it.

And let’s face it, Fenn can write. Maybe Hustle wants to see more of that.
    Maybe he’s working a book deal with Fenn, giving him a chance to buy back his final resting place.

I know this sounds crazy, but it’s about the only thing I can think of that explains all this madness, all this CHAOS.

If you go back and read the last few months of SB’s with THIS THEORY in mind, I think you’ll agree it’s likely, if not all together probable.
    I can’t imagine how irate Fenn must be at the outlandishness of this gesture. He was probably expecting a bro-hug,
    a few short interviews, and a well-deserved “thank you, Forrest.”

I suppose as they say, “No good deed …”

Finally, I imagine the debate could be summed up like this:

Hustle: “Nice chest. I want the spot too.”
    Fenn: “Ha ha … // … You are kidding … right?
    Hustle: “You wish old man. Title to the Gold is mine. As long as Gold stays on the spot, spot is mine too. Squater’s Rights.”
    Fenn: {turns 9 shades of fuchsia, then passes out}
    Fenn: {consciousness regained} “But that spot is special to ME.”
    Hustle: “Yeah me too. I’ve really grown to like the place.”
    Fenn: “But I got here first.”
    Hustle: “Yeah so did the Indians. What’s your point, Fenn?”

Ensue the 2 year epic battle known as … The Pillow Fight.

With all the numbers thrown around, these negotiations don’t seem to be coming to an end.
    We've seen the pot splashed with art, jewelry, cars, relics ...
    Fenn's thrown in about everything he's got, but he's not willing to throw in the SPOT.

And Hustle won’t give it up.

Fenn isn’t going to give away the FARM just to appease this maniacal marauder.

Just like the Bobby F. moment, and as the poem eerily and prophetically predicts …

This battle looks like it may End in a DRAW.

Fenn and Hustle just may have to agree to share this spot, and pillow down forever together,
    which I’m sure will be a blow to both their egos, but I just can’t see either player ever breaking or backing down.
    So “pillowing down together,” although not ideal for either man (see Planes, Trains, and Automobiles) seems like it may be the only option left. (hence 'nigh')

Neither Hustle nor Fenn seem like the “pole to pole” type of ranch hand, so it's looking like this one will end ash to ash ...
    or Omega to Omega as it were.

Then again, maybe Fenn knew it would play out this way all along ...

Embroidery & Chaos (truly two of a kind)

The Ends

Click image for larger version  Name:	double omegas from book.jpg Views:	0 Size:	61.4 KB ID:	128219
    Last edited by Cross-Eyed Dottie; 11-13-2019, 09:02 PM.

Nope....

Anna, beat you to it!

Edit: My reasoning; I do not believe in a lead searcher. If the person has the bracelet the they are the FINDER.
    How is the supposed "LS" measured?
    There are no waypoints to the poem that may be confirmed 100%.
    For this reason when I see a post with the supposed "LS"
    I am ingoring the post, especially when I see the potential of anamosity to be wrought.

IMO, Forrest's intentions was for us "the search community" to be positive. Not Negative.
    Last edited by Countryboy; 11-14-2019, 10:54 AM.

Comment

That's awesome writing and imagination, but NOoooo! I don't want him to think he is being hustled. I don't think that's the intention. That person probably has a spot they'd prefer over that place, and their own obligations lately. I can see how it would appear pompous or something; just thinking he doesn't understand the person; would maybe prefer ANYone else find it? Yes.
      Last edited by 5-leaf Blaze; 11-13-2019, 09:11 PM.
      Questing song:
      The Beatles "I'll Be Back"
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2K9Ij6VmOD4

Comment

Originally posted by 5-leaf Blaze View Post
        That's awesome writing and imagination, but NOoooo! I don't want him to think he is being hustled. I don't think that's the intention. That person probably has a spot they'd prefer over that place, and their own obligations lately. I can see how it would appear that way; just thinking he doesn't understand the person.
        Yeah, you're probably right. I'm sure it's just taking a while because TC is hidden really well, but it was fun imagining it all.

Is a parade of masks a "masquerade?"

Comment

If he wanted to negotiate he’d just reach out to them directly. Can you imagine if your phone rang from somewhere in Santa Fe? Or if he emailed YOU out of the blue? What a great moment that would be. He wants the chest found the right way, and that’s okay too.

As for the “nope’s” and the quick shoot downs....maybe explain your opinion on the matter? Obviously her post took her some time and thought, and it deserves a little respect.

Comment

Funny... my #1 partner in this looked at me the other day and asked if Forrest seems to be negotiating.
            Questing song:

Comment

Originally posted by Copper View Post
              If he wanted to negotiate he’d just reach out to them directly. Can you imagine if your phone rang from somewhere in Santa Fe? Or if he emailed YOU out of the blue? What a great moment that would be. He wants the chest found the right way, and that’s okay too.

As for the “nope’s” and the quick shoot downs....maybe explain your opinion on the matter? Obviously her post took her some time and thought, and it deserves a little respect.
              Copper, sorry, the post was not worth my time.

Edit: my reasoning; I do not believe in a lead searcher. If the person has the bracelet the they are the FINDER.
              How is the supposed "LS" measured?
              There are no waypoints to the poem that may be confirmed 100%.
              For this reason when I see a post with the supposed "LS"
              I am ingoring the post, especially when I see the potential of anamosity to be wrought.

IMO, Forrest's intentions was for us "the search community" to be positive. Not Negative.

Last edited by Countryboy; 11-14-2019, 10:52 AM.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	566
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	128244 I was thinkin the same thing. But I'm just an old sot.

Comment

Nope, (beat me to it Countryboy) Here's another theory. The lead searcher/hunter has been to the final location, but did not find the treasure. I recall Fenn saying in Wine Dine and Travel Magazine, "it might take at least 100 years for someone to find it because even with the clues, its still difficult to find." Remember, "nobody is going to accidentally stumble on that treasure chest." So even with the clues solved the lead searcher/hunter is having difficulty locating the treasure. The recent spate of scrapbooks is an attempt by Fenn to narrow down the location by giving hints that the lead searcher/hunter can solve, but also anyone can solve, so its still a fair fight.

To answer Copper's question, Fenn would never call or email directly the lead searcher, because that would violate Fenn's "prime directive" prohibiting him from interfering with the internal and natural development of the chase.

http://online.anyflip.com/dmdy/dugs/...html#p=168-171
                  Last edited by Anna Graham; 11-13-2019, 10:46 PM.
                  All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
                  --Arthur Schopenhauer--

Comment

Originally posted by Cross-Eyed Dottie View Post
                    In 2018 Mr. Fenn made his “gut feeling” remark. That much we know for sure. Since that time, rumors of a “Lead Searcher” have spread like wildfire.

Chasers speculate that every Scrapbook, interview, and remark MUST BE an encrypted message for that ONE individual.

And yet, that speculation is starkly opposed by the complete lack of a ‘find’ – but still, the cryptic SB’s just keep on coming.

and WHY all the Scrapbooks, now chock-full of NUMBERS, dolls, and seemingly cryptic messages?
                    Well, I have a THEORY …
                    WHAT IF …
                    Fenn’s coded messages are not meant to GUIDE LS to TC; what if they’re actually NEGOTIATIONS??
                    Let me explain …
                    What IF, upon discovering Mr. Fenn’s secret spot -- the place so beautiful and serene Fenn claims he wishes to “pillow down for eternity” –
                    well, what if the LS became so enamored with Fenn’s SPOT, he decided he wanted to claim it for himself?

Fenn probably imagined that some fortunate finder would feel grateful just to claim the chest of gold, and certainly THAT benevolent gesture would be ENOUGH.
                    But maybe Fenn underestimated his Huckleberry, if not in wit, certainly in sheer GREED.

What if the Lead Searcher wants it ALL – the whole Kit & Kaboodle – the chest, the jewels, the amulets, the fetishes, the gold, AND the SPOT to boot?!

If the scenario I describe is the case, then the past few years of Scrapbooks aren’t really clues at all; rather, they’re NEGOTATIONS!

NEGOTIATIONS …

Doesn’t that explain allllll the numbers, which to us seem RANDOM, and seem to have no end?

Doesn’t that explain all the CHAOS – all the disparate talk of the value of things –
                    paintings, dolls, cars, fetishes, books, rights, land, cabins, museum pieces, jewelry, donations …

You see, LS knows the one thing Fenn prizes more than any other worldly possession is …
                    THAT SPOT.

WORLD SERIES OF POKER!

Right now, at least.
                    Fenn has gotten so mad at times at the audacity of HUSTLE, we know he has broken mirrors, flattened tires,
                    and many more wild acts alluded to in SB’s if you go read them. He even threw a JACK onto the table,
                    perhaps just as an intimidation tactic, and mentioned a vacuum cleaner just to say, "Hustle, you SUCK!"

Maybe it’s good for Fenn, and maybe HUSTLE did it out of love, the way men rib one another,
                    which can seem harsh or even cruel from a woman’s perspective, is really just male affection.

Maybe HUSTLE wants to goad Fenn onward to live to be 125 before he finally “pillows down”

Maybe he’s working a book deal with Fenn, giving him a chance to buy back his final resting place.

I know this sounds crazy, but it’s about the only thing I can think of that explains all this madness, all this CHAOS.

If you go back and read the last few months of SB’s with THIS THEORY in mind, I think you’ll agree it’s likely, if not all together probable.
                    I can’t imagine how irate Fenn must be at the outlandishness of this gesture. He was probably expecting a bro-hug,

Hustle: “You wish old man. Title to the Gold is mine. As long as Gold stays on the spot, spot is mine too. Squater’s Rights.”

With all the numbers thrown around, these negotiations don’t seem to be coming to an end.
                    Fenn's thrown in about everything he's got, but he's not willing to throw in the SPOT.

Just like the Bobby F. moment, and as the poem eerily and prophetically predicts …

Fenn and Hustle just may have to agree to share this spot, and pillow down forever together,
                    which I’m sure will be a blow to both their egos, but I just can’t see either player ever breaking or backing down.
                    So “pillowing down together,” although not ideal for either man (see Planes, Trains, and Automobiles) seems like it may be the only option left. (hence 'nigh')

Neither Hustle nor Fenn seem like the “pole to pole” type of ranch hand, so it's looking like this one will end ash to ash ...

The Ends

Click image for larger version Name:	double omegas from book.jpg Views:	0 Size:	61.4 KB ID:	128219
                    A leach good to see you back?

Comment

Originally posted by Anna Graham View Post
                      Nope, (beat me to it Countryboy) Here's another theory. The lead searcher/hunter has been to the final location, but did not find the treasure. I recall Fenn saying in Wine Dine and Travel Magazine, "it might take at least 100 years for someone to find it because even with the clues, its still difficult to find." Remember, "nobody is going to accidentally stumble on that treasure chest." So even with the clues solved the lead searcher/hunter is having difficulty locating the treasure. The recent spate of scrapbooks is an attempt by Fenn to narrow down location by giving hints that the lead searcher/hunter can solve, but also anyone can solve, so its still a fair fight.

To answer Copper's question, Fenn would never call or email directly the lead searcher, because that would violate Fenn's "prime directive" prohibiting him from interfering with the internal and natural development of the chase.

The Spots known the treasure has not been found..

"Yes.. go get it then" vs "Yes? go get it then.." its hard to say which was which but i can say i will be haunted by that conversation for a very long time.
                      Last edited by 1keyword; 11-14-2019, 10:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Anna Graham View Post

What if lead searcher called Fenn? He'd probably be horrified and it would be a 20 second phone call. Just a guess...
                        Questing song:

Comment

Originally posted by Cross-Eyed Dottie View Post

Well, I have a THEORY …
                          WHAT IF …
                          Let me explain …

NEGOTIATIONS …

THAT SPOT.

WORLD SERIES OF POKER!

Right now, at least.

The Ends

Click image for larger version Name:	double omegas from book.jpg Views:	0 Size:	61.4 KB ID:	128219
                          Way way till I long to reed long time. Like way too long. What? No. Like when your driving and talking to yourself. 10-9?

Comment

I don't think FF or someone who thinks of himself/herself as the "lead searcher" want or need to negotiate with each other. Finders keepers. Even FF said this (paraphrased).

Comment

Old Pilot: agree. Solver doesn't need any confirmation or input from Forrest, nor does Forrest expect it. Success is its own reward. If you need FF's attaboy, you haven't figured it out.

Comment

Working...
                              X