Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WARM WATER WISDOM & The HALT Method

The Poem as Self-Help ...

I've been thinking a lot recently about the helping hand Fenn extended to Johnny Depp via Dal's Blog. What a gesture.

That got me to thinking about something I realized years ago, then forgot, then just re-remembered. Fenn claims he hid REAL GOLD,
    and the path to finding it is in his poem. I take him at his word. Still though, this claim doesn't discount the existence of METAPHORICAL GOLD
    to be unearthed as well. I think recent threads are beginning to unravel this truth. Here's my take on the self-help path Fenn offers us all in his poem --

Warm Waters = HUMORS

The four humors were thought to be sanguine (blood), choleric (yellow bile), melancholic (black bile), and phlegmatic (phlegm) and their composition within the body was considered to determine a patient's personality and health concerns. Every human body was thought to contain some measure of each of these humors.

Humors, residing within the human body, are always then WARM, at roughly 98.6 degrees F.

98.6 of course rounds up to 99.

Page 99 (TTOTC) is where Fenn penned the "doodle heard round the world." No great surprises there.
    This page which illustrates violence with war and bombs, the tranquility of nature via a flowing stream, the steadfastness of mountains, and finally a plane, which can be thought to contain the old Fenn, flying away from a world filled with war and violence. And then there's the NEW Fenn of today, signing this image, and placing himself, with an arrow, right in the middle of it all, the proverbial EYE of the storm. One might say this illustration on page 99 is HUMOROUS, in the most literal sense.

Also keep in mind Fenn speaks of which of the FOUR ELEMENTS could possibly affect the TC.
    WIND being the one he finally landed on. WIND, as in the deep breathing exercises as the root of all awareness meditations?

So where do the WARM (body temp) WATERS (HUMORS) HALT then, and what does this even mean?

Well, to HALT one's humors is to put an end to living life ruled by our passions and emotions. It begins with BREATHING (WIND) techniques.

Literally the HALT technique means to embrace a certain amount of self-awareness and STOICISM, which I believe Fenn embodies.

What did the man do first thing when he was shot down in the Laotian jungle? 1) Quiet his emotions, or humors. 2) Focus his mind on a tranquility meditation. 3) Sprinkle pepper in a circle.

The MEDITATION practice known as LOVING-KINDNESS (there's THAT word again) teaches us never to communicate with others when we are being ruled by, or under the influence of a negative human emotion, or HUMOR, as it were. We're taught to be aware of moments when we are under a humor's grasp, and in these moments, instead of communicating or lashing out at others, we are taught to HALT.

The acronym HALT is especially meaningful, because it stands for the FOUR states in which we should cease to communicate.

Those are when we are feeling:

H - Hungry
    A - Angry
    L - Lonely
    T - Tired

Beginning to make sense?

Anyone who has gone at The Chase with any degree of seriousness and vigor is almost certain to have experienced ONE of the above during a hunt, if not all four at once. I can't count the times I've found myself out weathering the elements, stuck in some dark canyon, out of food, feet sore, weary, alone, and ANGRY at ole Fenn for "putting me there." In these moments, I'm thankful I have no Wifi, so that I can't write Mr. Fenn the nasty note running through my mind. But always when I get back to civilization, drink some water, take a hot shower, and put some food in my belly, I begin to realize it wasn't Mr. Fenn I was mad at, but the circumstances I was in and how they made me feel. In times like these, when we've done it TIRED and we're WEAK, we should always HALT.

This is WARM WATER WISDOM. (also known as the HALT METHOD)

I personally would like to add COLD to the list, after some of my winter searches, because I get quite nasty when I'm COLD, but I don't think the word CHALT packs quite the same punch, so I'll leave it be. There's a reason I'm the student and not the teacher.

And has anyone noticed how Fenn talks about being 12_____ away from the treasure?

12 STEP PROGRAM, anyone?

I think if you read the poem with SELF HELP in mind, you'll begin to understand some of the METAPHORICAL GOLD in Fenn's poem. After three years of doing this practice, I almost never kick my dog or yell at my grandma anymore when I get home from a failed hunt. I usually just make some hot tea, quietly cry, and go straight to bed.

#BabySteps
    #Progress
    #HaltMethodInAction

that's gotta be the way
    Questing song:
    The Beatles "I'll Be Back"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2K9Ij6VmOD4

Comment

Insightful thoughts . Some things in your post reminded me that once FF said the treasure is "wet". I did some research to look into all meanings of the word and found out that in the very distant past, the word wet could mean north. Of course in some places it might mean west or east depending on which way the ocean, river, or lake was. Before we had a umiversau concept of north, south, east, or west, people would use words like wet, rocky, hill, etc to describe which direction to go.
      "It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
      And I'm most obliged to you for making it clear that
      I'm not here" -Syd Barrett

Comment

Originally posted by HelenKane View Post
        Insightful thoughts . Some things in your post reminded me that once FF said the treasure is "wet". I did some research to look into all meanings of the word and found out that in the very distant past, the word wet could mean north. Of course in some places it might mean west or east depending on which way the ocean, river, or lake was. Before we had a umiversau concept of north, south, east, or west, people would use words like wet, rocky, hill, etc to describe which direction to go.
        i recently read a book which discussed farmers' historical knowledge of ordinal directions. earlier iterations of weather vanes didn't depict NSEW, because they didn't need to. You could take a farmer under ground, spin him in ten circles blindfolded and he could still divine true north. people have all but lost that skill, but i think birds might still have it.

Comment

You‘re a wise person, Leach! There‘s good advice in the poem and most of your writings! Good to have you on here!
          „It‘s almost impossible to carry the torch of truth through a crowd without singeing somebody‘s beard.“
          G. C. Lichtenberg

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboyrocker View Post
            You‘re a wise person, Leach! There‘s good advice in the poem and most of your writings! Good to have you on here!
            Thanks for the tip o' ye hat, Cowboy! You ain't so bad yer self! ;-)

Comment

Did you know that Cary Grant was A. Leach? You two must be related.
              Last edited by Goldilocks; 10-07-2019, 09:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldilocks View Post
                Did you know that Cary Grant was a Leach? You two must be related.
                Ever seen the docu "Becoming Cary Grant?" Fascinating life, that man. He dedicated one day a week, Sundays I believe, to exploring his inner-self on the wings of LSD. I too am a fan of self-work. But I usually just drink a glass of milk and eat some donuts.

Comment

Originally posted by A Leach View Post

Ever seen the docu "Becoming Cary Grant?" Fascinating life, that man. He dedicated one day a week, Sundays I believe, to exploring his inner-self on the wings of LSD. I too am a fan of self-work. But I usually just drink a glass of milk and eat some donuts.
                  Self work requires alot of "heavy loads and water high." So buckle up and buckle down. And don't forget to take time to recharge.
                  Last edited by wwwamericana; 10-07-2019, 08:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by wwwamericana View Post

Self work requires alot of "heavy loads and water high." So buckle up and buckle down.
                    Or just a long Pull of SamAdam under the wright moon

Comment

Originally posted by A Leach View Post

Or just a long Pull of SamAdam under the wright moon
                      That would "recharge" me.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldilocks View Post
                        Did you know that Cary Grant was A. Leach? You two must be related.
                        Archie's name also appropriated by John Cleese's character in A Fish Called Wanda. :-)

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	HALT method.png
Views:	74
Size:	682.8 KB
ID:	150219
                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                          X