Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

(not for you Yellowstone haters) could Trout Lake be Heavy Loads and Water High?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (not for you Yellowstone haters) could Trout Lake be Heavy Loads and Water High?

this popular 12 acre lake site sits on a bench above soda butte creek for waters high with a creek that you will not be able to navigate by paddling up that leads up to it, and how is this for heavy loads "Soda Butte Lake." From his remarks, "It is said that the miners of Cook City took ten tons [of fish] out of it last fall by drawing the lake and using nets, and dried them for winter's use.. today known as trout lake, citation https://www.yellowstone.co/sodabutte.htm
    ten tons from a 12 acre lake seems a bit exagerated but?

conveniently located close to a former home of Brown, a ranger station that sat across the road from soda butte (empty sage prairie now) that was moved to the Lamar buffalo ranch in the 1930's building and all.. also close to the warm creek picnic grounds and an extinct geyser/thermal feature (still stinks and produces warm water) Soda Butte...?

this soldier station was later moved to the Lamar Buffalo ranch and became the home of one Garry Brown park ranger
    "By 1914, the "trail wagon road" was in better shape between the belt line (Grand Loop) junction and Soda Butte than the 20-mile stretch on the east boundary, this being due to the frequent travel to the Buffalo Farm and the Soda Butte Soldier Station." Interesting park history here https://www.nps.gov/parkhistory/onli...ds/hrs1-14.htm

"Today the Lamar Buffalo Ranch is maintained as an historic district comprising five buildings built in the early 20th century. The complex includes a ranger station built in 1915, a bunkhouse built in 1929, a residence which was moved from Soda Butte in 1938," https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lamar_Buffalo_Ranch
    Last edited by 1keyword; 09-12-2019, 01:24 AM.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (221).jpg
Views:	87
Size:	164.4 KB
ID:	116216
    Attached Files

Comment

I think if the kids had pestered Forrest about trout instead of waterfalls, he would have told them, "You seem to be hung up on trout. Don't try to change my poem to fit your ideas."

Comment

Originally posted by Zapster View Post
        I think if the kids had pestered Forrest about trout instead of waterfalls, he would have told them, "You seem to be hung up on trout. Don't try to change my poem to fit your ideas."
        I don't know man it makes a damn good HLWH. I think ten tons of fish is a bit of a stretch but slough creek got its name when a trapper was asked about it his response to what turned out to be a raging river from runoff was "tis a Slough" exaggeration was the game back then, A ton of fish from what would have had to have been a planted lake I can see but ten tons? that's a stretch.

Comment

Working...
        X