Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wwwamericana
    replied
    Look for a pine tree? Should that make sense for me?
    Maybe......

Leave a comment:

• Mr hand
    replied
    Originally posted by Walking Among Lions View Post
    For me, Forrest is hinting to look for a pine tree.
    Oh yeah he is, good i

Leave a comment:

• Old Pilot
    replied
    Originally posted by Walking Among Lions View Post
    For me, Forrest is hinting to look for a pine tree.
    How do you figure this?

Leave a comment:

• RahRah
    replied
    Originally posted by Zapster View Post

Sunburnt1: it's really important to work with precise quotes and not paraphrasals of them. Searchers' remembrances of quotes are not always accurate. The quote you are referring to was a MW Q&A where the searcher was wondering how many clues could be solved from home, and how many had to be solved in situ. Forrest replied to that multipart question: "All of them in theory but not likely in practice." On my phone, so cutting and pasting quotes is too tedious, so I'm going from memory (dangerous!): he then added something to the effect that a searcher must go to the treasure site to complete the solve. This second sentence, and even the closing clause of the first does not erase the initial answer: "All of them in theory". He doesn't ever say you can only solve 8 clues from home, or in fact *any* number of clues. The point is, he's claiming all the clues could be theoretically solved from home.

As for the blaze being the 4th or 5th clue, I'd say you are quite a ways off.
    ...in theory
    Within theory
    Intra-theory

Intratheory - within a theory; in a logical manner; logically; deductive reasoning

Leave a comment:

• John Smith
    replied
    Ya'll funny.

Leave a comment:

• Castellaw1685
    replied
    Originally posted by Grizzbait View Post
    Ahhhh... Scrapbook #188. One of my favorites! I love baseball, Mr. Fenn and a good puzzle!
    This is my take on the scrapbook that started all of the head scratchin’.
    Dizzy Dean was an electric personality, prankster and all around character in his field (hehe... field!) He never made it past the 2nd grade and was the bane of schoolteachers everywhere. He would use the word “ain’t” and make up words . “Slud” for example; “ He slud into 3rd” . He didn’t care what people thought or that it wasn’t proper English, but folks still knew what he was talking about. Ol’ Diz was a maverick in his own right and one of Forrest’s favorite players. Of course Diz would appeal to him! To me, F is saying that he can make up words, use them in a not-so-traditional context, and it’s up to the reader to understand what he is trying to say. *That elusive word that will help you more than others is probably a shining example of this* Punctuation be dammed also, because he removed all of the commas and periods out of that scrapbook as well.
    It’s just my opinion, but I hung up my thinking cap and climbed out of rabbit holes a long time ago and started thinking like a 13 year old scamp with imagination.
    Forrest makes up his own rules and you gotta have that same snap to understand what he is trying to say.
    Good luck to all of us with that because they broke the mould when they made him!
    Haha! You nailed it down!

Leave a comment:

• Grizzbait
    replied
    Ahhhh... Scrapbook #188. One of my favorites! I love baseball, Mr. Fenn and a good puzzle!
    This is my take on the scrapbook that started all of the head scratchin’.
    Dizzy Dean was an electric personality, prankster and all around character in his field (hehe... field!) He never made it past the 2nd grade and was the bane of schoolteachers everywhere. He would use the word “ain’t” and make up words . “Slud” for example; “ He slud into 3rd” . He didn’t care what people thought or that it wasn’t proper English, but folks still knew what he was talking about. Ol’ Diz was a maverick in his own right and one of Forrest’s favorite players. Of course Diz would appeal to him! To me, F is saying that he can make up words, use them in a not-so-traditional context, and it’s up to the reader to understand what he is trying to say. *That elusive word that will help you more than others is probably a shining example of this* Punctuation be dammed also, because he removed all of the commas and periods out of that scrapbook as well.
    It’s just my opinion, but I hung up my thinking cap and climbed out of rabbit holes a long time ago and started thinking like a 13 year old scamp with imagination.
    Forrest makes up his own rules and you gotta have that same snap to understand what he is trying to say.
    Good luck to all of us with that because they broke the mould when they made him!

Leave a comment:

• Zapster
    replied
    Originally posted by Sunburnt1 View Post
    I get it. But also I don't. He said something like. it is possible to determine all the clues beforehand except the last one you need to be there. And basically if you figure it out ahead of time. you'll be confident to go right to it. So if your confident on clues 3 to 8. . the blaze being the 4 or 5th. but not sure on your wwwh. you still wont find it.
    Sunburnt1: it's really important to work with precise quotes and not paraphrasals of them. Searchers' remembrances of quotes are not always accurate. The quote you are referring to was a MW Q&A where the searcher was wondering how many clues could be solved from home, and how many had to be solved in situ. Forrest replied to that multipart question: "All of them in theory but not likely in practice." On my phone, so cutting and pasting quotes is too tedious, so I'm going from memory (dangerous!): he then added something to the effect that a searcher must go to the treasure site to complete the solve. This second sentence, and even the closing clause of the first does not erase the initial answer: "All of them in theory". He doesn't ever say you can only solve 8 clues from home, or in fact *any* number of clues. The point is, he's claiming all the clues could be theoretically solved from home.

As for the blaze being the 4th or 5th clue, I'd say you are quite a ways off.

Leave a comment:

• RahRah
    replied
    I agree with that philosophy. Just kind of venting. The hunt is supposed to be fun. But not being able to get the Rockies to enjoy IT while eliminating ideas is frustrating. So unfortunately I spend countless hours daily researching. Spinning in circles. Getting nowhere. Hoping for one honest open specific fact that can actualy help searchers. We haven't gotten one of those in a long long time. I'm referring to his site. Forrest said he will not assist( always uses assist instead of help?) or deter and individual searcher. But with miscontruded deceiving off subject responses. It seems like trickery at his own muse at times. IMO. Ok. taking a break.
    The word "help" implies active assistance to advance toward an end both are going to or attempting together; the word "assist" implies the secondary role of the one providing assistance (ie. an assist in basketball is a good example), with only one person is in the spotlight. Just something to think about since Fenn chooses his words carefully.
    Last edited by RahRah; 01-17-2020, 01:01 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Sunburnt1
    replied
    I agree with that philosophy. Just kind of venting. The hunt is supposed to be fun. But not being able to get the Rockies to enjoy IT while eliminating ideas is frustrating. So unfortunately I spend countless hours daily researching. Spinning in circles. Getting nowhere. Hoping for one honest open specific fact that can actualy help searchers. We haven't gotten one of those in a long long time. I'm referring to his site. Forrest said he will not assist( always uses assist instead of help?) or deter and individual searcher. But with miscontruded deceiving off subject responses. It seems like trickery at his own muse at times. IMO. Ok. taking a break.

Leave a comment:

• RahRah
    replied
    I get it. But also I don't. He said something like. it is possible to determine all the clues beforehand except the last one you need to be there. And basically if you figure it out ahead of time. you'll be confident to go right to it. So if your confident on clues 3 to 8. . the blaze being the 4 or 5th. but not sure on your wwwh. you still wont find it.
    I don't think - and this is IMO - that you can solve the poem without having "Begin it where warm waters halt..." correctly identified, the entire solve hinges on it being correct. Can you get a correct guess? I'm not sure, and I'm not sure how you'd proceed without understanding (again, IMO) why it is what it is. Well, I think you can guess correctly, but without knowing why it is what it is, you're stuck.
    Last edited by RahRah; 01-17-2020, 02:27 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Sunburnt1
    replied
    I think the main thing is if the 9 clues are actual named geographic landmarks. Orherwise geography could involve just about everything. To really take a step backwards on things. Maybe the little girl from india wouldn't be able to get past clue 2. Because she is only looking at a map of the US. Rockies. If there's clues outside "The Map. " We've got a longer trail to blaze. I really hope not. But otherwise that was a contriditory statement in a way.

Leave a comment:

• Sunburnt1
    replied

Leave a comment:

• RahRah
    replied
    Yup. Missed that. Thanks. Not sure how to take that. 10 billion of what his blaze is.. Or what people ideas of what the blaze might be. If it's 10 billion of one thing. Trees does sound preferable. But I doubt it. A tree is very feasible to move. I'd lean more towards something Rockish.... I would not consider a star a clue in the poem. There not very planet earth geographical . I never figured out why he so adamant you can't find the treasure without knowing wwwh? I got you can't find the blaze in a car. But if someone told you the 3rd & 4th clue. and /Or why he hid the treasure where he did. I think you might have a shot starting in the middle. 10 billion of the exact same thing that you would look at. then look down . hmmmm That's almost as deep as a hole.
    Without having a solid answer and understanding it, you can't solve the rest of the poem - you might think you can, but you can't. That's my take on it anyway.

Leave a comment:

• Sunburnt1
    replied
    Yup. Missed that. Thanks. Not sure how to take that. 10 billion of what his blaze is.. Or what people ideas of what the blaze might be. If it's 10 billion of one thing. Trees does sound preferable. But I doubt it. A tree is very feasible to move. I'd lean more towards something Rockish.... I would not consider a star a clue in the poem. There not very planet earth geographical . I never figured out why he so adamant you can't find the treasure without knowing wwwh? I got you can't find the blaze in a car. But if someone told you the 3rd & 4th clue. and /Or why he hid the treasure where he did. I think you might have a shot starting in the middle. 10 billion of the exact same thing that you would look at. then look down . hmmmm That's almost as deep as a hole.
    Last edited by Sunburnt1; 01-16-2020, 11:14 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X