The Overly Demanding Boss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Overly Demanding Boss

Since I seem to remember Forbes once carried an article about Forrest, I thought these tips from that same publication might be useful for those who have issues at work - or elsewhere.

Here are 10 tips for dealing with an overly demanding boss:
    • Don't take it personally. ...
    • Consider why your boss is being so demanding. ...
    • Don't be a punching bag. ...
    • Gently confront the boss. ...
    • Listen and repeat. ...
    • Set mutual expectations and priorities. ...
    • Stay positive. ...
    • Be a problem-solver, not a problem-maker.
    • Use positive reinforcement.
    • Celebrate successes.
    It's been a long while since I had a direct boss, but working for clients often requires similar skills when they try to overload you or set unreasonable deadlines. As the article states, they are very often under pressure themselves. Maybe working together in a spirit of cooperation and candor to bridge the gap between expectation and achievability - and without upsetting other members of staff - could be the way to go. Could that work for searchers trying to cope with domestic difficulties? I don't know, but the tips look like they might be transferable.

Great tip. I believe in life sometimes we need to learn to take a back seat and let things play out as if guided by a higher hand.

Comment

Good advice, Dampenedmyth. Maybe we all get too stressed trying to take control ourselves - I think that may have just happened in a way with jdiggins trying to decipher Fenn's comment to her.

Comment

The comment from Forrest was priceless. It really tells you nothing at all useful towards helping anyone get closer to the treasure yet people can take it in so many different ways.
        Last edited by Dampenedmyth; 07-21-2019, 02:56 PM.

Comment

Some good stuff in this thread.

Life used to be about picking battles for me, but now I'm learning to let go. I always rejected the idea of going with the flow (see my username), so it's been hard, and yet there seems to be a way of mindfully ceding control. It's something like picking the river and trusting in the choice while drifting downstream rather than fighting every current and rocking wave.
          "I once sent a dozen of my friends a telegram saying 'flee at once - all is discovered.' They all left town immediately." ~ Mark Twain

Comment

I never did care much for workers being blamed for management errors and having to also sort thru their errors, find and fix the problems they caused.

Comment

Sometimes it can feel like a really long wait until 4:00 comes around, but if both boss and staff are happy, then it's worth it!

Comment

Originally posted by antigroove View Post
                Some good stuff in this thread.

Life used to be about picking battles for me, but now I'm learning to let go. I always rejected the idea of going with the flow (see my username), so it's been hard, and yet there seems to be a way of mindfully ceding control. It's something like picking the river and trusting in the choice while drifting downstream rather than fighting every current and rocking wave.
                Thank you, antigroove, some more excellent advice - and something I needed to hear right now. Maybe courage can sometimes be found in acceptance (staying the course) as much as in making a stand (rocking the boat).

Comment

Working...
                X