No announcement yet.

Biggest reach for Confirmation Bias, Part 2

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Biggest reach for Confirmation Bias, Part 2

    Just the other day I posted about my Hunter experience as a reach for confirmation bias as everyday, unrelated events somehow lead us to believe we are on the right trail in the Chase.

    Here is that story:
    So, I think we've all had moments when we've tied something outside the Chase to our Solve or position as Lead Searcher or Hunter. No matter how ridiculous or happenstance the moment, we define it as proof that we are on the right trail.

    Today, I may have had my biggest reach.

    With the kids out of school for the summer, I took today off to take my wife and kids to play at Top Golf where today is Half-Price Tuesday.

    It was the first time I swung a golf club comfortably since my car accident 8 years ago...but I digress.

    In a quiet moment as we were getting settled in before the start of our first round, I was contemplating my next BOTG, coming up in about 10 days. My train of thought was broken when the waitress approached me, looked me in the eye, smiled and said, "Hunter."

    My expression showed I was clearly taken aback by her one word greeting, so she stated, "My name is Hunter, I'll be serving you today."

    Could there be any more clear a sign?


    Orion the Hunter


    I ended that story, with a question: "Could there be any more clear a sign?"

    Tonight, that more clear sign may have appeared. Here is my latest biggest reach for Confirmation Bias.
    Let me preface this story by telling you that it wasn't supposed to happen. For the past 9 months our utility company has been in the area removing the old infrastructure and replacing it with the newest hardware on the grid. They also installed all new underground lines. As they wrapped up the project a couple of weeks ago, the Project Manager told me we shouldn't have any more power outages for a long time. Mother Nature obviously heard these words and said, "Hold my Dr. Pepper."

    Tonight, at 6:45, we lost power when a massive bolt of lighting lit up the sky, followed instantaneously by a roar of thunder. At that moment, power was lost. I looked quickly down at my phone and started dialing a number I knew all too well: 1 800 POWER ON. The automated voice confirmed the outage and provided the estimated time for return of power to be 11:15 PM. That meant I had about four and a half hours before I'd see light again.

    I put on my sandals and walked outside, in the rain, to check on the house and yard to see if there was any damage. Seeing none, I walked back inside. My wife had to take care of a neighbor's dog so she was walking out the door and the kids were chatting with friends. I told my wife I would probably go to Home Depot to look for some tools I might need to finish the screened porch we're building.

    Mind you, I could have gone to Lowe's, as they are across the street from each other just 2.06 miles from my home and I did just buy a new refrigerator last week at Lowe's after our basement refrigerator died, completing it's own story after 15 years. Fortunately, Independence Day sales last week enabled me to purchase a $1,600 refrigerator/freezer with an ice and water dispenser for less than $1,000. The refrigerator was delivered yesterday. It was only about 1/4" wider than the old one - just large enough where it would not fit through the door, even with the hinges and door removed from the opening. As the two delivery men loaded up the old refrigerator, I assessed the situation and, fearing he may have underestimate that quarter, realized I would have to remove the casings and door frame to get the refrigerator to go in there. Alone, I cut nails and removed pieces of wood to get the opening I needed. Within a short time (I had the right tools so it was easy), the refrigerator was moved into the storage room, the gentleman left and I put in the door frame and rehung the door. A couple of hours later, the new refrigerator, at an appropriate temperature, was loaded with an assortment of beverages. Later, as I was wrapping up my day, I visited that spot where my new refrigerator stood and looked at the door I had to remove and replace and the tools I used to get the job done. Thirsty, I reached into the refrigerator and grabbed an Orange flavored soda water. I opened the can, took a long gulp and, looking at the basement door, said to myself, "the effort was worth the cold."

    But I digress...

    I started to leave for Home Depot, a Big Box Store recognizable by it's familiar orange and Brown, but I turned around. The time wasn't right;
    there was something to finish before I could go to HD.Back in my home office, without power, I had to resort to my mobile hotspot and log on to my cellular network to complete a task for work.

    It took about 90 minutes to get to the point where I could now go to HD. I got in my car (at 2.06 miles, it was just too far to walk) and travelled down a road, "X" "X" Creek, to get to my destination. When I arrived, I parked on the southern side of the building, disembarked my vehicle and walked into the store. I stood by the grills, gazing at my phone, lost in thought as I contemplated my purpose and, at that moment, I heard a voice...that of an old friend, Rich. Rich is an electrician. He was with his 16 year-old son, Richie. Yes, I came across Riches new and old.

    But there is more.

    We chatted briefly before we parted ways. And then it occurred to me - my purpose for being at HOD at that moment. A generator. I would look for a generator for my home so I would not have to rely on others -the utility company- to provide what my family needed. I used Google to research online for a bit, then I walked to an area of the store where I thought I would find what I was looking for. It wasn't there. I looked around a little more, certain it was there, but no such luck. I started to walk in one direction but suddenly turned and saw, about 20 feet away, a man who looked like he could help me. I could see from what he was doing that he belonged there so I walked over to him.

    As I approached, I said, "Hi. I wonder if you could help me."

    Pointing down to the floor, motioning with his hand for me to stop, he responded, first with a one word warning, then a greeting: "Water. Hi."

    I thanked him as I looked at the trickle of water and asked if he could point me to the generators. Pointing overhead to the rack above us, he said, "I just loaded a few up there. Heavy loads."

    At that point, I was struck by all that I just described and, remembering my story of Hunter the other day, I said to myself, could this be a more clear sign?

    Then, at that moment, I looked at the helpful man's apron and saw, printed in the black ink of a Sharpie, his name. His name was Forrest.

    As someone once said, "You can't make this stuff up."


    Orion the Hunter
    Last edited by ORION; 07-12-2019, 12:15 AM.