X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• antigroove
    replied
    Originally posted by whodat View Post
    Childhood maltreatment is an area of my research specialization, but this is project is about the chase. Respondents taking the survey will see that is clearly the case. The focus of this study is on estimating the size of our community and trying to identify psychological attributes that may differentiate adaptive versus maladaptive participation. There are a few questions at the end about experiences of developmental adversity that may or may not warrant analysis. The concern raised by RT was about two sentences in the consent form:

"It is our hope that this level of anonymity will encourage your efforts to help us in our study regarding the impact of various forms of child abuse and developmental adversity."

This was intended to read: "It is our hope that this level of anonymity will encourage your efforts to help us in our study of the Forrest Fenn treasure hunt."

Consent forms are often boilerplate for researchers submitting multiple projects. This was an oversight on my part cutting and pasting. I regret any annoyance raised by respondents. The second issue involved a required sentence for all survey research protocols these days that confidentiality can be maintained unless the police come with a court order. That sort of disclaimer is also routine these days and highly unlikely to have any reason for concern in this study about the chase.

Again, I apoligize for the oversight. Forrest was informed about the study prior to its initiation. I would discontinue this project immediately if requested to do so by him.
    This post and all the responses should tell you everything you need to know about searchers.

Leave a comment:

• OneMoreBOTG
    replied
    Originally posted by NoStaticAtALL_IN_hi-deaf View Post

Pibb Xtra is way better than Dr. Pepper; so needless to say; I didn't take the survey.
    Did you need to state a % chance you thought you had of finding it in the survey?
    I can see why you would prefer Pibb Xtra. Yes, what % you think your chances are of finding it is one of the questions.

Leave a comment:

• NoStaticAtALL_IN_hi-deaf
    replied
    Originally posted by OneMoreBOTG View Post
    I took the survey. Seems like they just want to figure out if we're off our rockers. I wish they had asked more questions about our solves & searches and less about how reckless we think we are. I'm not a risk-taker at all, I just like puzzles, hiking & Dr. Pepper. However, I DO NOT like Baby Ruth's. Does that make me ruthless?
    I gave myself a 75% chance of finding it. #optimist
    Pibb Xtra is way better than Dr. Pepper; so needless to say; I didn't take the survey.
    Did you need to state a % chance you thought you had of finding it in the survey?

Leave a comment:

• OneMoreBOTG
    replied
    I took the survey. Seems like they just want to figure out if we're off our rockers. I wish they had asked more questions about our solves & searches and less about how reckless we think we are. I'm not a risk-taker at all, I just like puzzles, hiking & Dr. Pepper. However, I DO NOT like Baby Ruth's. Does that make me ruthless?
    I gave myself a 75% chance of finding it. #optimist

Leave a comment:

• nmcc
    replied
    Originally posted by 1keyword View Post

so what....?
    So what what?

Leave a comment:

• 1keyword
    replied
    Originally posted by nmcc View Post
    Not to be a wet rag in all this, but the PI is a legitimate researcher. If you have doubts about the ethical nature of the study, or have concerns about the true purpose of it, he lists his contact information or you can look him up in the Psychology Dept. at NDU and contact him directly through email.
    so what....?

Leave a comment:

• Sherif Billy
    replied
    Originally posted by Captainahabseeks1
    I do see the question about: have you put others at risk as a red flag. However there are many professions (example nursing) that are required by law to report any instance of suspected child abuse...that alone does not make this a witch hunt.
    One time I called the state to report child abuse. It was on a five year old little girl who had Gonorrhea. The person from the state's hotline asked me why I suspected child abuse. My response was some what terse; "How many other 5 year olds do you know that are sexually active?" 1f

Leave a comment:

• kpro
    replied
    I would ask the principle investigator, to provide the full IRB application and approval. Though this is available via a similar process of the FOIA, it is a public document to protect the community. I think it would settle the concerns.

Leave a comment:

• Crimsonfox
    replied
    Originally posted by nmcc View Post
    Not to be a wet rag in all this, but the PI is a legitimate researcher. If you have doubts about the ethical nature of the study, or have concerns about the true purpose of it, he lists his contact information or you can look him up in the Psychology Dept. at NDU and contact him directly through email.
    I hate to nitpick, but it is UND, home of the Fighting Sioux. Now the fighting hawks meh. Ironically I know someone that goes to school there.

Leave a comment:

• 23kachinas
    replied
    http://mysteriouswritings.com/questi...-of-the-chase/

Part of the answer to question posted 6/26/2014: All I know are the facts, if you want the truth go next door to the psychology department.f

Leave a comment:

• ROLL TIDE
    replied
    I want to apologize to whodat for my initial reaction to his original post.
    I should have handled it in a better way and asked him to explain, instead of automatically assuming the worst.
    I was wrong to react the way I did without first giving him the chance to correct what turns out to have been an unfortunate mistake.

Leave a comment:

• TreasureCodex
    replied
    Originally posted by Copper View Post
    Whodat I tried to take it. But it’s way too long. It seems you are trying to flesh out manic depressives or narcissists. I gave up after about five minutes and gave myself a 1% chance of finding the treasure.
    Some of us already have lists of some of those characters in the chase. Doc should have one by now also.

Leave a comment:

• TreasureCodex
    replied
    Originally posted by JeremyP

Er, yes, actually.

Paranoia: "delusions of persecution... exaggerated self-importance".

I think that characterizes the belief where one has 1) an assumption that his or her answers will be used for some nefarious purpose and 2) that their anonymous aggregate data has value that warrants protection.
    I guess you didn't read or understand the contract. There is a third option, but that is just all too obvious. A person has rights to privacy. And that is why the disclaimer is in the contract. It is written in a subjective manner by an assumed professional. I know, I know he stated outside of the contract that it is a "boilerplate document". That is very commonly used excuse by corporations and their lawyers all the time.

Leave a comment:

• ROLL TIDE
    replied
    Call it what you want, the way it was initially worded did indeed raise concern. The OP's explanation that it was an oversight on his part, and his subsequent correction, causes me no further concern.
    My reaction was to the way it was originally worded.
    I will now remove my previous posts from this thread.

Leave a comment:

• Copper
    replied
    Whodat I tried to take it. But it’s way too long. It seems you are trying to flesh out manic depressives or narcissists. I gave up after about five minutes and gave myself a 1% chance of finding the treasure.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X