Chase Research Project

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chase Research Project

I am a psychology professor in my fifth year of the chase trying to identify factors that compel our involvement in the chase. I have tried to estimate the size of our Chase community using a random survey of 1,000 workers on Amazon's Mechanical Turk. It appears that we may be substantially larger in size than Forrest's estimate of ~350,000. I'm asking more seasoned searchers such as yourself to take 5-10 minutes to complete this same anonymous survey. The data will hopefully be of interest to our community. Please complete the survey just once and not share the questions with others until data completion has been completed. Just cut and paste this link in your browser if interested: https://und.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_3n73uFTL1keqrgV

Originally posted by ROLL TIDE
    ~BUYER BEWARE~

Read the entire thing.
    The very first thing I asked myself is WHAT THE HELL DOES FORREST FENN'S TREASURE HUNT HAVE TO DO WITH CHILD ABUSE ?

" . . . your efforts to help us in our study regarding the impact of various forms of child abuse . . . "
    " . . . the law may require us to show your information to a court or tell authorities IF WE BELIEVE you have abused a child . . ."

This one doesn't smell right.
    That alone makes this study about more about data collection than to determine numbers of people who are aware of the treasure hunt or assess general knowledge of chase clues and hints.
    More like gathering clue and hint intel and personal information.

https://und.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_3n73uFTL1keqrgV

"Why is this research being done?"

" This survey is about the Forrest Fenn treasure hunt.The purpose of this study is to: a) estimate the number of United States citizens who are aware of this treasure hunt; b) assess general knowledge of the chase clues and hints; c) identify the benefits and costs associated with individual participation; and d) infer some personality traits that are associated with interest in the Fenn chase. "

Comment

Originally posted by nmcc
      {"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\tKing AoI.PNG Views:\t0 Size:\t12.1 KB ID:\t108160","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"108160","data-size":"full","title":"King AoI.PNG"}

Just to add to RT's posts, the PI's research interests are posted above.
      There are narcissist's in the treasure hunt. That has been obvious.

Comment

Originally posted by ROLL TIDE
        To the reader :

1) Why is a survey about Forrest Fenn's treasure hunt included in a study about child abuse ?
        2) Have you been in the chase long enough to recall any other instances where attempts were made to associate Forrest Fenn's treasure hunt with "various forms" of child abuse ?
        3) Do you know the OP ?
        4) Are you aware that many searchers use multiple screen-names, from forum-to-forum, and even within a single forum ?
        5) Is the OP credible, with this being the first post ?
        6) Have you been in the chase long enough to know that campaigns have been waged against Forrest ? Campaigns that were soliciting 'victims' to come forward, to tell their stories of alleged "abuse" ?
        7) Have you ever had contentious discussions with anyone in the chase, in regards to those campaigns ?
        8) If yes, do you have any way of knowing for sure if the person(s) you may have had heated arguments with, doesn't post under multiple user-names ?
        9) If you have no way of knowing that, do you trust the OP enough to divulge your personal information to him/her ?
        10) Have you been in the chase long enough to have witnessed that personal information has been posted on open forums by searcher(s) who were participants in controversial discussions with other searchers ?
        11) Did you take note of IF WE BELIEVE ?
        12) Would you agree that there are people in life who would bear false-witness under the guise of "I believed it to be true" ?
        13) Do you have any way of knowing if the person(s) you may have had contentious relationships with, has friends or connections with Ph.D.s ?

14) Are you still willing to give personal information to someone you don't know ?
        I would give credit to the person listed as surveyor that there is contact info if anyone wants to pursue asking them questions.

Comment

Not to be a wet rag in all this, but the PI is a legitimate researcher. If you have doubts about the ethical nature of the study, or have concerns about the true purpose of it, he lists his contact information or you can look him up in the Psychology Dept. at NDU and contact him directly through email.

Comment

Originally posted by nmcc
            {"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\tKing AoI.PNG Views:\t0 Size:\t12.1 KB ID:\t108160","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"108160","data-size":"full","title":"King AoI.PNG"}

Just to add to RT's posts, the PI's research interests are posted above.
            It's funny his most recent degree is in Experimental Psychology.
            Personally I would say that is his most interested in field currently which many would already know was the field headed by the Germans leading up into WW2.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_psychology

" Emergence of German experimental psychology "

" Experimental psychology laboratories were soon also established at Berlin by Carl Stumpf (1848–1936) and at Göttingen by Georg Elias Müller (1850–1934). Another major German experimental psychologist of the era, though he did not direct his own research institute, was Hermann Ebbinghaus (1850–1909). "
            ----------------------
            " Second generation German "

---------------------
            " Gestalt psychology "

" Whereas the Würzburgers debated with Wundt mainly on matters of method, another German movement, centered in Berlin, took issue with the widespread assumption that the aim of psychology should be to break consciousness down into putative basic elements. Instead, they argued that the psychological "whole" has priority and that the "parts" are defined by the structure of the whole, rather than vice versa. Thus, the school was named Gestalt, a German term meaning approximately "form" or "configuration." It was led by Max Wertheimer (1880–1943), Wolfgang Köhler (1887–1967), and Kurt Koffka (1886–1941). Wertheimer had been a student of Austrian philosopher, Christian von Ehrenfels (1859–1932), who claimed that in addition to the sensory elements of a perceived object, there is an extra element which, though in some sense derived from the organization of the standard sensory elements, is also to be regarded as being an element in its own right. He called this extra element Gestalt-qualität or "form-quality." For instance, when one hears a melody, one hears the notes plus something in addition to them which binds them together into a tune – the Gestalt-qualität. It is the presence of this Gestalt-qualität which, according to Von Ehrenfels, allows a tune to be transposed to a new key, using completely different notes, but still retain its identity. Wertheimer took the more radical line that "what is given me by the melody does not arise ... as a secondary process from the sum of the pieces as such. Instead, what takes place in each single part already depends upon what the whole is", (1925/1938). In other words, one hears the melody first and only then may perceptually divide it up into notes. Similarly in vision, one sees the form of the circle first – it is given "im-mediately" (i.e. its apprehension is not mediated by a process of part-summation). Only after this primary apprehension might one notice that it is made up of lines or dots or stars. "

" Köhler showed, contrary to the claims of most other learning theorists, that animals can learn by "sudden insight" into the "structure" of a problem, over and above the associative and incremental manner of learning that Ivan Pavlov (1849–1936) and Edward Lee Thorndike (1874–1949) had demonstrated with dogs and cats, respectively. "

------------------------------

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insight " Psychology "

" In psychology, insight occurs when a solution to a problem presents itself quickly and without warning.[5] It is the sudden discovery of the correct solution following incorrect attempts based on trial and error.[6][7] Solutions via Insight have been proven to be more accurate than non-insight solutions.[6] "

" Insight was first studied by Gestalt Psychology, in the early part of the 20th century, during the search for an alternative to associationism and the associationistic view of learning.[8] Some proposed potential mechanisms for insight include: suddenly seeing the problem in a new way, connecting the problem to another relevant problem/solution pair, releasing past experiences that are blocking the solution, or seeing problem in a larger, coherent context.[8] "

Last edited by TreasureCodex; 07-11-2019, 05:23 PM.

Comment

I do see the question about: have you put others at risk as a red flag. However there are many professions (example nursing) that are required by law to report any instance of suspected child abuse...that alone does not make this a witch hunt.

Comment

Childhood maltreatment is an area of my research specialization, but this is project is about the chase. Respondents taking the survey will see that is clearly the case. The focus of this study is on estimating the size of our community and trying to identify psychological attributes that may differentiate adaptive versus maladaptive participation. There are a few questions at the end about experiences of developmental adversity that may or may not warrant analysis. The concern raised by RT was about two sentences in the consent form:

"It is our hope that this level of anonymity will encourage your efforts to help us in our study regarding the impact of various forms of child abuse and developmental adversity."

This was intended to read: "It is our hope that this level of anonymity will encourage your efforts to help us in our study of the Forrest Fenn treasure hunt."

Consent forms are often boilerplate for researchers submitting multiple projects. This was an oversight on my part cutting and pasting. I regret any annoyance raised by respondents. The second issue involved a required sentence for all survey research protocols these days that confidentiality can be maintained unless the police come with a court order. That sort of disclaimer is also routine these days and highly unlikely to have any reason for concern in this study about the chase.

Again, I apoligize for the oversight. Forrest was informed about the study prior to its initiation. I would discontinue this project immediately if requested to do so by him.

Comment

Relax my paranoid friends. I took the survey. It's a basic self-assessment about your personality, your propensity for risk-taking, and whether you exhibit manic traits, with some demographics thrown in. It's a good questionnaire and if people answer honestly it might give some insights into the type of person who goes treasure hunting at this level.
                  “Mischief managed.”

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyP View Post
                    Relax my paranoid friends. I took the survey. It's a basic self-assessment about your personality, your propensity for risk-taking, and whether you exhibit manic traits, with some demographics thrown in. It's a good questionnaire and if people answer honestly it might give some insights into the type of person who goes treasure hunting at this level.
                    So people that don't like data collectors as a whole are paranoid ? This is obviously about data collection and giving the collector the right to share it however they want to. And no, the statement does not guarantee the data would be sent de-identified to a third party. I don't take survey's as a rule they do the survey taker nothing at all on the level of even awareness.

" Data collected in this research might be de-identified and used for future research or distributed to another investigator for future research without your consent. "

Comment

Originally posted by TreasureCodex View Post
                      So people that don't like data collectors as a whole are paranoid ? This is obviously about data collection and giving the collector the right to share it however they want to.
                      Er, yes, actually.

Paranoia: "delusions of persecution... exaggerated self-importance".

I think that characterizes the belief where one has 1) an assumption that his or her answers will be used for some nefarious purpose and 2) that their anonymous aggregate data has value that warrants protection.

“Mischief managed.”

Comment

Whodat I tried to take it. But it’s way too long. It seems you are trying to flesh out manic depressives or narcissists. I gave up after about five minutes and gave myself a 1% chance of finding the treasure.

Comment

Call it what you want, the way it was initially worded did indeed raise concern. The OP's explanation that it was an oversight on his part, and his subsequent correction, causes me no further concern.
                          My reaction was to the way it was originally worded.
                          I will now remove my previous posts from this thread.
                          Daniel Castro (Blues)
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNCrfKtA3lE

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyP View Post

Er, yes, actually.

Paranoia: "delusions of persecution... exaggerated self-importance".

I think that characterizes the belief where one has 1) an assumption that his or her answers will be used for some nefarious purpose and 2) that their anonymous aggregate data has value that warrants protection.
                            I guess you didn't read or understand the contract. There is a third option, but that is just all too obvious. A person has rights to privacy. And that is why the disclaimer is in the contract. It is written in a subjective manner by an assumed professional. I know, I know he stated outside of the contract that it is a "boilerplate document". That is very commonly used excuse by corporations and their lawyers all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Copper View Post
                              Whodat I tried to take it. But it’s way too long. It seems you are trying to flesh out manic depressives or narcissists. I gave up after about five minutes and gave myself a 1% chance of finding the treasure.
                              Some of us already have lists of some of those characters in the chase. Doc should have one by now also.

Comment

Working...
                              X