Romancing the Stone

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Copper View Post
    Imagine being the only searcher in possession of the actual map required to end the search. Talk about going with confidence. I’m starting to believe the poem is a vague as hell map to get us to “the map.”
    I wonder what that map would be worth ?
    F told Cowlazars that the more detailed maps are better, if you have the right one.

You see those little maps hanging on the walls in libraries, and hospitals and other such public places ?
    They show you where you are at, and map out the surrounding floor-plan, and show you where the nearest exit is.
    Those are detailed maps. And they are everywhere.

Google Earth and/or a map of the RMs is not what I consider to be a detailed map.

Google Earth has the zoom feature, that takes you down, down, down . . .
    Treat your search for the right map the same way.

You can start with a map of a state, go to county, go to city, go to street, go to library, go to floor plan, go to card catalog, go to section, go to row, go to bookshelf, go to book, go to table of contents, go to chapter, go to page . . .
    You are on a quest, look down, down, down . . .

Google Earth won't help you with the last clue, but a detailed map probably will.
    I work with a detailed map.
    Last edited by ROLL TIDE; 07-09-2019, 09:56 AM.
    Daniel Castro (Blues)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNCrfKtA3lE

Comment

Originally posted by Homer View Post

Click image for larger version

Name:	RedCanyon.jpg
Views:	410
Size:	401.3 KB
ID:	107847
      Thank you, Homer! Makes me wish I were BOTG.

Comment

Originally posted by OH!! View Post
        The map he wants you to use is Google Earth. He said excellent for a reason.
        Excellent research materials are TTOTC, Google Earth, and/or a good map.f
        Excellent = Very good;of the highest quality.

Just like the map in the movie, imagination is used as geological formations. The #1 people are the Indians who named geological formations and Forrest is all about the Indian culture.

Great thread Copper.
        OH you goofball-if you really believe that then LOOK AT WHAT I SENT YOU!!!

If we were to name some geological features in the poem what would they be?

Halt-cliff or abrupt physical stop
        canyon down-canyon
        walk-what walks? A boot shape or missing shoe
        Brown-fish, bear, beaver, many things

How would an Indian map his poem? How would Sacajawea remember where to go? Shapes. IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by ROLL TIDE View Post

I wonder what that map would be worth ?
          F told Cowlazars that the more detailed maps are better, if you have the right one.

You see those little maps hanging on the walls in libraries, and hospitals and other such public places ?
          They show you where you are at, and map out the surrounding floor-plan, and show you where the nearest exit is.
          Those are detailed maps. And they are everywhere.

Google Earth and/or a map of the RMs is not what I consider to be a detailed map.

Google Earth has the zoom feature, that takes you down, down, down . . .
          Treat your search for the right map the same way.

You can start with a map of a state, go to county, go to city, go to street, go to library, go to floor plan, go to card catalog, go to section, go to row, go to bookshelf, go to book, go to table of contents, go to chapter, go to page . . .
          You are on a quest, look down, down, down . . .

Google Earth won't help you with the last clue, but a detailed map probably will.
          I work with a detailed map.
          I agree. But where does the detail come from? Do we add the details from his poem? GE is not detailed enough. The books map is certainly not detailed. The poem is a poem but can we draw a map from a really vague poem? I guess maybe. He has said though that people will know where to go, almost exactly where to go. “Get within several steps.”

Maybe I should just say I think he should have drawn an old school map that we have to find. GE is modern. I’m talking about a wadded up brown, torn, stinky map that’s been lit on fire and has blood splatters on it. The kind that you pull out of one of his jars and instantly look over your shoulder to make sure you’re not being followed.

Comment

I do not think there is a physical/OTG layer to this quest. I think it can completely be solved from home.
            The minute you do things like leave a map to find a place - you are just asking for termites or lord knows what.
            Questing song: Iron Maiden's "Quest for Fire" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ppwIZ0EnXg

Comment

Copper...I found your comment about discovering a map at HOB interesting and it reminded me of a pictgraph panel I found on the Colorado River south of Moab many moons ago. After several minutes of intent study, I realized it was a map...leading from the place I was standing to Arches National Park by way Courthouse Wash. I was stunned. It made sense though...ancient travelers were provided a very specific and permanent map for their journey to what must have been a sacred destination.

Comment

Cool Sally. I wish I knew how to find old maps. My location doesn’t have a trail head. Treasure hunts must have a good map. We either have to find it or build it from the poem.

An old slang word for map is a persons face. So I guess we all carry a map whether we know it or not.

Comment

Originally posted by OneMoreBOTG View Post

Thank you, Homer! Makes me wish I were BOTG.
                  Same, I have been missing the thrill of the chase for a while now. Btw, that photo was from 2017 not long after I first learned about the chase.
                  "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." -Henry David Thoreau

Comment

canyon down-canyon

How would an Indian map his poem? How would Sacajawea remember where to go? Shapes. IMO.
                    You must of misunderstood my writing. By viewing Google Earth, you can queue into Forrest Fenn's own geological formations he created that are within the poem. Note I said within.
                    Nigh has the synonym of virtually. Drawing virtually. A virtual drawing. The Indians were well known for naming area formations by their shapes.

Last edited by OH!!; 07-10-2019, 03:59 PM.
                    "Rhythm means timing, rhythm means rhyme, the poems twenty four lines are all about thyme"
                    --- OH!!

Comment

Originally posted by Hint
                      The poem is the map. If you knew this you would've found it by now.
                      You too buddy. You one stop shoppers are interesting.

Comment

canyon down-canyon

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Sacajawea is on this treasure hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pilot View Post

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Sacajawea is on this treasure hunt.
                          Yes she is! Yes she is! She would have found the treasure by now I bet. My solve is all around Sacajawea.

You know something crazy...I used to confuse Pocahontas with Sacajawea. Not kidding. I couldn’t remember which was which. I’m so proud that I actually know a thing or two now. I have all these facts about Wyoming that I randomly drop at the dinner table thinking my family cares.
                          Last edited by Copper; 07-11-2019, 08:40 PM.

Comment

I'm pretty sure Elizabeth Warren is not a Fenn Chaser. ;-)

Comment

And one more thing! Sorry. “All you need is the poem and a good map.”

If the poem were the map wouldn’t that sentence be a little redundant?
                              Nice thought. I think you make your own map, and the poem is the instruction manual. Recall that in the movie there weren't drawn instructions on the map about how to find El Corazon. There were written clues. These clues when followed step-by-step led them to the treasure. In Fenn's poem El Tenedor del Diablo is where warm waters halt and la Leche de la Madre is the blaze. Now toss another key on the fire and pop open that bottle of Scotch. I've got a pair of alligator boots in my future.
                              Last edited by Guy From Denver; 07-13-2019, 10:01 PM.

Comment

A great movie. It’s on Direct TV this month and I’ve recorded it so my kids can watch it. This is where and when Michael Douglas entered my “top 10 actors I want to marry” list.

Of course, it got me thinking about TTOTC. There has to be a map. There just has to be. Every great treasure hunt has a gnarly map. One with devils forks and skeletons and weird shaped rocks, etc etc. I believe the map is found along the way. We have to have that map to complete the mission.

However, you’d think by now he would have said that there is a physical map one must fine. Or would he? Without the map, we are blind.

My gut feeling is telling me that said map is found at HOB.

Now back to my movie. Jack just ran off with the stone and she has the map.....eeeeeek.
                                Back off my man Copper!!! That's one of my future ex husbands you are talking about! I'll text you when I'm done.

Comment

Working...
                                X