Cynthia’s Solve revealed by Press

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zapster View Post

"One key take away from this summer's search season that I have come to understand from various posted solutions and discussions is that many people are getting to the same search area via multiple different WWWH. When that occurs, I think we can agree our WWWH is incorrect."

I know what you mean. Being in the right area for the wrong reasons is unlikely to lead to success. In that scenario, the searcher is probably looking for the wrong things since their spot is not aligned with the clue they're trying to solve.
    Then again getting to the correct WWWH for the wrong reason can prompt one to re-evaluate and discover the right reason when they hit a dead-end in their solve, and that can domino to each clue then being seen from a different angle. That could, in turn, lead to the person actually coming to understand how to solve the poem.

Comment

Originally posted by SallyColorado View Post
      Hi Bob - I think that the rationale for Sunlight Basin is that "sunlight" might make waters captured in a basin "metaphorically" warm. At least that was my approach. I don't have a clue what Cynthia's rationale was but I suspect it is similar to my own. Also, when Forrest told the story of George Dabich, both on HOD and later in OUAW, he called that area outside of Cody the "Skylight country". He didn't correct his "mistake" when he had the opportunity. Well, "skylight" might remind us of his shower, doesn't it? Peggy designed his bathroom with a "skylight in my bathroom flat above the shower" - which Forrest called a "design deficiency". Just a few abberations that live out on the edge that seemed worth exploring. I know, it's convoluted.
      Thanks for the tip!
      Sally, you are the only commenter who has a clue to why I even considered Skylight Country. (It has nothing to do with the word Sunlight.) The only thing Money Magazine shared was the map with my arrows. They did not delve into my solutions to the clues... they did not disclose anything in the 20 page Word document I have in a binder with all my info, including my confirmation bias, of course! I did, in fact, give them permission to photograph my map, including the arrows. Without my data, it's still ambiguous to those who have never been there or researched it. Thanks to all of you who made the nice comments.
      Also, the link Kpro posted in the opening thread is not actually about Sunlight Creek, but Hemingway did fish the Clarks Fork of the Yellowstone. Sunlight Creek flows into it, and that video highlighted the Clarks Fork, not Sunlight Creek. Just FYI for those who don't know the area.
      Last edited by cynthia; 07-07-2019, 11:06 PM.

Comment

Hi Bob - I think that the rationale for Sunlight Basin is that "sunlight" might make waters captured in a basin "metaphorically" warm. At least that was my approach. I don't have a clue what Cynthia's rationale was but I suspect it is similar to my own. Also, when Forrest told the story of George Dabich, both on HOD and later in OUAW, he called that area outside of Cody the "Skylight country". He didn't correct his "mistake" when he had the opportunity. Well, "skylight" might remind us of his shower, doesn't it? Peggy designed his bathroom with a "skylight in my bathroom flat above the shower" - which Forrest called a "design deficiency". Just a few abberations that live out on the edge that seemed worth exploring. I know, it's convoluted.
        Thanks for the tip!
        Think about that for a second - if you give it thought, you can figure out why it's a design deficiency!

Comment

Thanks for the tip!
          Oooh. That's very interesting. Thank you.
          Last edited by Bob823; 07-08-2019, 04:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RahRah View Post

Think about that for a second - if you give it thought, you can figure out why it's a design deficiency!
            Yeah. One never knows when an 85-year-old female groupie will climb on the roof and peep in.

Comment

Thanks for the tip!
              I think you've literally just pointed out how the poem's waters get warm. Nice!

Comment

Cynthia...I was pretty sure you had a bit more up your sleeve! Good luck to you (and always keep that hole card up your sleeve).

Comment

Cynthia...I was pretty sure you had a bit more up your sleeve! Good luck to you (and always keep that hole card up your sleeve).
                  Speaking of cards, anybody ever hear of bluffing? Knowing full well that you map is going to be published would give one an excellent opportunity to bluff. When the cards your opponents see aren't the cards you are playing yet they believe that they are anyhow, gives you a strategic advantage. In a previous line of work I called that counter espionage.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy From Denver View Post

Speaking of cards, anybody ever hear of bluffing? Knowing full well that you map is going to be published would give one an excellent opportunity to bluff. When the cards your opponents see aren't the cards you are playing yet they believe that they are anyhow, gives you a strategic advantage. In a previous line of work I called that counter espionage.
                    This isn’t war. ‘Opponents’ are friends and assistants who may say something completely unrelated to your solve- yet because you never stop thinking about it, it gives some 9 times removed hint that only you would understand. Even the ‘bluff’ of another may help you if you’re thinking about it as potential help and not harm. imo- the only unhelpful information is the overstated and generic, “if you THINK about it, you can solve it’ type comments that imply they’re chillin’ with some grand solution and that the reader isn’t already yanking their hair out with ‘thinking’.
                    I’ve come to believe anyone sitting on a truly useful set of information got there by following another’s path and not their own. The one who finds their own way to organize and make sense of all this is the only one who can claim ownership of that trove.

Comment

Originally posted by RahRah View Post

Is it because people typically don't shower in the middle of the day? (when a skylight would be at maximum usability)

Comment

All bluffing aside - what is the " naked truth?"

Comment

" I installed a skylight in my apartment . . . the people who live above me are furious !"
                          ~Steven Wright~
                          I can't tell you more. It's a matter of national security.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy From Denver View Post

There's no need to "bluff" as you suggested I might have done. According to the survey on AGK (343 people participated), only 16% believe the treasure chest is hidden in Wyoming outside YNP. That means 84% of the people that read the Money Magazine article wouldn't even consider my solution. Also, the photographer took over 100 pictures. I had no idea which ones would be selected. And truthfully, I didn't care. I had already searched my specific "special place" hidey spot once before they took the photos and I knew I'd have one more search there before the article was published. Since then, I've modified my solutions to the clues but will still search the same general area again the end of July. I will probably publish my entire solve and supporting data the end of August if the treasure chest has still not been found by me or another searcher.

Comment

Originally posted by thehomeofBrown.com View Post

Is it because people typically don't shower in the middle of the day? (when a skylight would be at maximum usability)
                              That's one reason....

Comment

Originally posted by Rose Livingstone View Post

This isn’t war. ‘Opponents’ are friends and assistants who may say something completely unrelated to your solve- yet because you never stop thinking about it, it gives some 9 times removed hint that only you would understand. Even the ‘bluff’ of another may help you if you’re thinking about it as potential help and not harm. imo- the only unhelpful information is the overstated and generic, “if you THINK about it, you can solve it’ type comments that imply they’re chillin’ with some grand solution and that the reader isn’t already yanking their hair out with ‘thinking’.
                                I’ve come to believe anyone sitting on a truly useful set of information got there by following another’s path and not their own. The one who finds their own way to organize and make sense of all this is the only one who can claim ownership of that trove.
                                I suggested thinking about it because just giving answers when one is perfectly capable of getting there without being handed an answer is better than giving the answer and they have no idea why. But that's me. Teach a man to fish, ya know?

As I replied to thehomeofBrown.com above, his/her thinking that the skylight is a design deficiency is because people don't usually shower in the middle of the day is one reason.....there are other reasons too though - for one he "goes out the window" multiple times in TTOTC, from a skylight, he can't go out the window at will as he had in other places in the book; another is that a skylight "flush" on the ceiling would collect condensation and "drip" after one takes a hot shower.

Are any of those what Fenn expects us to consider? I don't know, but I do know that I consider things from various angles to try to think of the different ways Fenn tries to say things specifically because many things have more than one meaning and I do believe we have to look at them all in working on the solution to the poem.

Comment

Working...
                                X