What is missing other than the X?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is missing other than the X?

I'm curious as to what you find conspicuously absent in the poem. There is no "X" and everyone knows it, but beyond that, what is missing amongst the existing operative literary components of the poem? At least one of the dominant component populations of the poem is dual and dueling words such as: alone and with; bold and secret; new and old; begin and halt; warm and cold; meek and brave; etc. If you are a reader of poetry is there some dualistic archetype you might expect Fenn to have used that isn't here, and if so, which one and what does its absence indicate to you?

There is a missing pair that invokes the classical poets in their embrace of the themes Fenn tries to embrace here.

Anybody?

Originally posted by whiskynovember View Post
    I'm curious as to what you find conspicuously absent in the poem. There is no "X" and everyone knows it, but beyond that, what is missing amongst the existing operative literary components of the poem? At least one of the dominant component populations of the poem is dual and dueling words such as: alone and with; bold and secret; new and old; begin and halt; warm and cold; meek and brave; etc. If you are a reader of poetry is there some dualistic archetype you might expect Fenn to have used that isn't here, and if so, which one and what does its absence indicate to you?

There is a missing pair that invokes the classical poets in their embrace of the themes Fenn tries to embrace here.

Anybody?
    Lovers

Comment

Peace and War
      "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." -Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Love and Jesus! Life isn’t about money or treasures... life in general is a treasure that we didn’t deserve, please know that we are all loved and that money isn’t everything. I pray tonight that god wraps his warm loving arms around you and guides you in the right direction day and night. Love and peace, no war! I love you all

Comment

Originally posted by Tribeofdan View Post
          Love and Jesus! Life isn’t about money or treasures... life in general is a treasure that we didn’t deserve, please know that we are all loved and that money isn’t everything. I pray tonight that god wraps his warm loving arms around you and guides you in the right direction day and night. Love and peace, no war! I love you all
          That's an interesting name you got there. Tribe Of Dan , Jacob identifies as the Serpent. The most subtle/cunning of the congregations. We do deserve life. That's what is wrong with your religion that has caused untold numbers of casualties in the name of the greed which you profess is not important.Lies beget lies. Take your religion and go in peace.

Comment

Originally posted by Homer View Post
            Peace and War
            Leo Tolstoy (a butterfly is really a....)

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	Flutterby Keys Ad-867e8b.jpg Views:	0 Size:	122.8 KB ID:	105878
              The name makes me think of Fenn's last F100 flight...
              Probably misses those old birds at times..

WN- I do see a duel at the end... In fact I see a dinosaur dueling with an armadillo.
              Pretty imaginative, if only in my head... that's good enough for me.
              http://www.macroevolution.net/pangolins.html

Oh, and think I found the 200ft searcher~
              Click image for larger version  Name:	image_5779.jpg Views:	7 Size:	172.2 KB ID:	105877
              Last edited by Castellaw1685; 06-24-2019, 08:13 AM.
              XXX

Comment

Hero & Villain

Comment

Originally posted by ksfromKS View Post
                  Hero & Villain
                  I dunno, seems like a great "Man VS. Nature/the Unknown" sort of conflict to me....

Comment

Does one particular pair come to mind in respect of previous logistical questions posed to Fenn, ones pertinent to waypoints, observations, and physical elements of the pathway drawn by the poem?

Comment

Originally posted by whiskynovember View Post
                      Does one particular pair come to mind in respect of previous logistical questions posed to Fenn, ones pertinent to waypoints, observations, and physical elements of the pathway drawn by the poem?
                      Forrest will never lead anyone to the treasure. You can count on that. His hints are so subtle and don't apply to what they seem to. And I don't just mean because they are given out in a story. It's a story upon a story upon a story.

Comment

Of course, because there is so much that Fenn mustn't say, and in response to relentless queries he is forced to omit things time and again. He's been doing it for nearly two decades. What such pairs would you suppose Dante or Blake to employ if they were envisioning a map within a poem? If they were intent to make things obvious, what would be used? It's been used throughout the history of visionary poetry.

Comment

To me Whisky. You almost answered your own philosophical question. What is opposite of putting a X on the map. It "wood" be putting a O. I want to try to get away from the chase. So I'm willing to give my alternative thoughts to help someone. They might be wrong. Of course. But I'll give my opinions that I haven't seen presented before. . So I'm still a believer. Forrest drew the map with the Indian reservations labled and the other anomalies that were different then the map published in the second book. If I am wrong please someone give me factual data on why how that other map came to be? I haven't had time. But I will post in the future. How the map in tftw might be the good map. It brings you full circle. There's a reason you start at Sante Fe. Theres a reason for the candian border to have different segmented lines.

Comment

So grab the book map. Measure between canada and Santa Fe. What's the middle . The Great Divide basin. It's right "in the middle". And if you found wwwh you're over half way there. If you draw a line straight across that mid point . You cross the word "halt" you cross the O in Mountain which I believe has no significance. But you also the line extends to road 156 on Wyoming. Which FF told the school children you can not solve the poem by starting in the middle. To me a huge clue. And a reconformation Ff re-eddits or posts the questions himself. Look at road 156 Wyoming. Why in any way would a class of kids or anyone one else believe the treasure is there? Its not in the highlighted region. And is under the letters NPS. If he wouldn't of followed with hypothetically. The treasure would have to be close to either Canada or Santa Fe. I going with the mark o the map is the FE( the ×) In Santa Fe.. It's still a big region. But meets all the criteria.

Comment

Sign and Date - your signature, your name, your autograph. If you can't write, make an X - at least, make your mark.
                              Leaving it blank, drawing a blank, anonymous? Sign here please.
                              Who wrote it, when was it written?
                              Don't forget to put your name on your paper.
                              And remember - you have to "sign for it."
                              Just some thoughts......

Comment

Working...
                              X