Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gallatin County Sheriff addresses Forrest Fenn Treasure Hunters

From the article:

In a media release issued Tuesday night, Gallatin County Sheriff Brian Gootkin delivered the following message to anyone seeking the Forrest Fenn Treasure in the area of Yellowstone National Park:

“In the last couple years, two people have died, two have been rescued near death, several have had run-ins with local and federal law enforcement, and one told his wife today he was injured but not where he was. The common denominator is that these people were all near Yellowstone National Park and they were all looking for the Forrest Fenn treasure. Gallatin County Sheriff Brian Gootkin has a message for treasure hunters: “You must know that this country is unforgiving if you don’t give it the respect it deserves. Let someone know where you are going – exactly, not some vague geographic area to keep your secret safe – and when you expect to return. Be prepared for the changing weather and wilderness conditions. Many areas have no cell phone service. Mountain streams and rivers are especially dangerous. Bears, snakes, and gravity are found in abundance in our corner of the world. We encourage everyone to vigorously pursue their outdoor passions, but think like a local. Before you go after the treasure, consider your level of skill, preparation and knowledge of the area. Consider the volunteer hours spent searching if you need to be rescued, and the anxiety of those left at home.”
    In a media release issued Tuesday night, Gallatin County Sheriff Brian Gootkin delivered the following message to anyone seeking the Forrest Fenn Treasure in the area of Yellowstone National Park: “In the last couple years, two people have died, two have been rescued near death, several have had run-ins with local and federal law enforcement, …
    "I once sent a dozen of my friends a telegram saying 'flee at once - all is discovered.' They all left town immediately." ~ Mark Twain

Originally posted by antigroove View Post
    From the article:

In a media release issued Tuesday night, Gallatin County Sheriff Brian Gootkin delivered the following message to anyone seeking the Forrest Fenn Treasure in the area of Yellowstone National Park:

“In the last couple years, two people have died, two have been rescued near death, several have had run-ins with local and federal law enforcement, and one told his wife today he was injured but not where he was. The common denominator is that these people were all near Yellowstone National Park and they were all looking for the Forrest Fenn treasure. Gallatin County Sheriff Brian Gootkin has a message for treasure hunters: “You must know that this country is unforgiving if you don’t give it the respect it deserves. Let someone know where you are going – exactly, not some vague geographic area to keep your secret safe – and when you expect to return. Be prepared for the changing weather and wilderness conditions. Many areas have no cell phone service. Mountain streams and rivers are especially dangerous. Bears, snakes, and gravity are found in abundance in our corner of the world. We encourage everyone to vigorously pursue their outdoor passions, but think like a local. Before you go after the treasure, consider your level of skill, preparation and knowledge of the area. Consider the volunteer hours spent searching if you need to be rescued, and the anxiety of those left at home.”
    A timely post with the Function in the Junction coming up this weekend.

Thank you for sharing.

Regards,
    O.

Comment

IMO IMO IMO - If you feel you have to travel, search, hunt, etc. in hiding and in secret, your solve is probably wrong. IMO IMO Mine is out in the open in a populated or sort of public area and requires no camouflage. IMO If you cannot take a 5-year old with you, you are probably in the wrong place. IMO Just a thought - if you can get in a pick up with the kids, why would you need to hide or walk along cliff edges or hang over dangerous places. If a 5-year old cannot be safely by your side, it's time to think. I've met some youngsters in the many areas where I've been regarding the chase and they were having fun and none of it looked particularly hazardous - unless they drift into the wilderness. It was a delight to see them enjoying adventures with their families. IMO perhaps I am no where near the bronze box . . . just out off the couch enjoying seeing others off the couch as well and around some pretty fine WWWHs!

Comment

“... gravity is found in abundance.” Funny guy.

Comment

Originally posted by Fogel View Post
          IMO IMO IMO - If you feel you have to travel, search, hunt, etc. in hiding and in secret, your solve is probably wrong. IMO IMO Mine is out in the open in a populated or sort of public area and requires no camouflage. IMO If you cannot take a 5-year old with you, you are probably in the wrong place. IMO Just a thought - if you can get in a pick up with the kids, why would you need to hide or walk along cliff edges or hang over dangerous places. If a 5-year old cannot be safely by your side, it's time to think. I've met some youngsters in the many areas where I've been regarding the chase and they were having fun and none of it looked particularly hazardous - unless they drift into the wilderness. It was a delight to see them enjoying adventures with their families. IMO perhaps I am no where near the bronze box . . . just out off the couch enjoying seeing others off the couch as well and around some pretty fine WWWHs!
          Absolutely! Make it simple and safe. As well as enjoyable and memorable. Thank you Fogel for stating that as a reminder to all.

Comment

It's a reminder to myself as well. Spending time with people who are near and loved - people and pets over possessions. I spent a lot of time during my child's youth - we traveled by car each year and saw family and some tourist stuff along the way. I Cannot imagine abandoning my child so I could pursue fame and fortune. It is a wake up call for me, too. To remember the priorities in life and remember that doing for others is in the present now and not something with the IF I find a fortune. Money is not the only way to serve others. Being there and a smile, understanding, a helping hand is a bigger payout. Sure, money would help but what is the cost of today for those hopeful $$$$ of tomorrow? I think I will just go fish with a loved one and spend my time in serving rather than in searching. Peace and safety to all.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar Bolt View Post
              “... gravity is found in abundance.” Funny guy.
              Indeed.
              I'd bet a nickel that Forrest was grinning like a mule eating briars if he's read that.

Comment

I've been saying for a month there is a strong physicalness to the solve. After getting myself in a bad situation in the Tetons, Wy. I changed my mind. Like usuall the landscape and enviroment looked normal on maps and pics I've seen. But once I was there. It was a whole nother world. After I got past the Black bear which looked like a brown. I twisted my ankle while stretching my hamstring. Not to be defeated so early I barged through huge downed trees, thick ankle grabbing vines ,arm grabbing branches while losing me bug spray. There wasn't even animal trails to follow. Just a solid punishing jungle to fight through. Being swarmed by a plague of mosqioutes for 5 hours is not so fun. To make thing worse my phone locked up and I lost my GPS. And trying to find a 4ft wide stream in a jungle of abuse is not practical. I some how managed to get to the middle of the mountain to the rocky high pitched steam. By then because of the straight up incline I knew my solve was completely wrong. But I forwarded up the rock & mud stream not to be defeated. Not being a mountain climber or in the beat shape. Every 30 ft was a challenge. The high altitudes & fatigue were setting in. With also a severe lightning thunderstorm in the distance and losing day light. I gave up and turned around . Being so close yet so far from my purpose. Was mentally hard after just going through so much. After sliding- slipping on my butt several times. My legs felt like jello at this point. I tried to brace my hand climbing down on a pretty large boulder. It gave way and I went ass over teakettle. Just missing cracking my head on the next boulder. I was very luckily nothing was broke. The next 2 hours getting back to safety were probably the most miserable in my life. I'll explain in a seperate thread why I felt I needed to get to that spot. It was not just for the treasure. So anyways.. I was hoping to find serenity and self accomplishment Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190619-121605_Gallery.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	105303 or something like that. And all I came back with was cut up legs and a beat up body. The ranger is right.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunburnt1 View Post
                  I've been saying for a month there is a strong physicalness to the solve. After getting myself in a bad situation in the Tetons, Wy. I changed my mind. Like usuall the landscape and enviroment looked normal on maps and pics I've seen. But once I was there. It was a whole nother world. After I got past the Black bear which looked like a brown. I twisted my ankle while stretching my hamstring. Not to be defeated so early I barged through huge downed trees, thick ankle grabbing vines ,arm grabbing branches while losing me bug spray. There wasn't even animal trails to follow. Just a solid punishing jungle to fight through. Being swarmed by a plague of mosqioutes for 5 hours is not so fun. To make thing worse my phone locked up and I lost my GPS. And trying to find a 4ft wide stream in a jungle of abuse is not practical. I some how managed to get to the middle of the mountain to the rocky high pitched steam. By then because of the straight up incline I knew my solve was completely wrong. But I forwarded up the rock & mud stream not to be defeated. Not being a mountain climber or in the beat shape. Every 30 ft was a challenge. The high altitudes & fatigue were setting in. With also a severe lightning thunderstorm in the distance and losing day light. I gave up and turned around . Being so close yet so far from my purpose. Was mentally hard after just going through so much. After sliding- slipping on my butt several times. My legs felt like jello at this point. I tried to brace my hand climbing down on a pretty large boulder. It gave way and I went ass over teakettle. Just missing cracking my head on the next boulder. I was very luckily nothing was broke. The next 2 hours getting back to safety were probably the most miserable in my life. I'll explain in a seperate thread why I felt I needed to get to that spot. It was not just for the treasure. So anyways.. I was hoping to find serenity and self accomplishment Click image for larger version

ID:	105303 or something like that. And all I came back with was cut up legs and a beat up body. The ranger is right.
                  What don't you understand about "Don't go where an 80 year old man can't go"? And, I'm not talking about going number 2.

Comment

He was not 80years old when he hid the treasure. And like I said. When I got to the beginning I knew I was in the wrong spot. But wanted to conquer that mountain for a different reason. Dismissing peoples physical abilities because of age is unwise.

Comment

I shared my story to hopefully prevent someone else from being foolish. So your shunning after the fact doesn't really do me much good. But thanks for caring.

Comment

He was not 80years old when he hid the treasure. And like I said. When I got to the beginning I knew I was in the wrong spot. But wanted to conquer that mountain for a different reason. Dismissing peoples physical abilities because of age is unwise.
                        You survived and that is commendable. You knew when to turn around and that is honorable. My first time out to WWWH I chickened out on the drive and turned around. Turns out it was for the best as the road ahead was not save at that time of year - so I learned the next year. This year I ventured to do something I had on my bucket list. It was great and I had a blast and learned a lot about the area. However, I will state that my legs gave out on the return uphill climb and I had to crawl over the rocks for the last 25 percent of the return. It was ok because I was smart enough to go with a group of people and we all looked after each other. My proof that some adventures are best with others and not kept a secret. TY for being wise enough to get yourself back safely.

Comment

Originally posted by Walking Among Lions View Post

What don't you understand about "Don't go where an 80 year old man can't go"? And, I'm not talking about going number 2.
                          No one needs to be treated this way. What purpose does trashing someone and their mistakes do? Put yourself on a higher plateau - until your BOTG and you arrive home empty handed and worn out. This week, isn't it?! We'll see when you disappear from the blog. Some times we learn from our mistakes and other times we learn from other's mistakes. We should be grateful for those others to share their experiences and learn from each other.

Comment

Originally posted by ROLL TIDE View Post

Indeed.
                            I'd bet a nickel that Forrest was grinning like a mule eating briars if he's read that.
                            wooden nickel? lol

Comment

Commendable knowing when to turn back ! Good story for people to learn a lesson from !

Comment

Working...
                              X