$1,000 Bet Minotaur Moreno's 600 Name List Has WWWH

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $1,000 Bet Minotaur Moreno's 600 Name List Has WWWH

$1,000 Bet Minotaur Moreno's 600 Name List Has W.W.W.H.

Minotaur Moreno and The Flip Side have bet $1,000 that Minotaur Moreno's list does or doesn't have W.W.W.H. on it.

If the chest is found, the solution is given, and W.W.W.H. is on Minotuar's list, The Flip Side will be expected to pay $1,000 dollars to Minotaur Moreno. If it isn't, Minotaur Moreno is expected to pay $1,000 to The Flip Side.

If the chest is found and solution not given, both are in the clear.

This post locks in our bet.

mm

• minotaur_moreno
    replied
    Originally posted by M.c.B. View Post

Just one silly question:

What if ... WWWH is a man-made structure?
    I could be wrong about all man-made structures. I know I filtered out dams. I can check when I get home tonight and post. I know it’s more than just dams, though.

Leave a comment:

• M.c.B.
    replied
    Originally posted by minotaur_moreno View Post

To make the list of 200k more manageable, I choose to use keywords like hot, warm, fria, content, cold, cool, and many others. If the place contained those words anywhere in the name, it was returned. I also filtered out any man-made structures (dams, etc) from the list.

Since I first created that list, I’ve realized that that was filtering out some good places that should be returned. That’s why I included the over 5,000 springs and emailed everyone the updated file.

mm
    Just one silly question:

What if ... WWWH is a man-made structure?

Leave a comment:

• minotaur_moreno
    replied
    Originally posted by Treasure Joe View Post
    So your original list did not give named thermal springs?
    To make the list of 200k more manageable, I choose to use keywords like hot, warm, fria, content, cold, cool, and many others. If the place contained those words anywhere in the name, it was returned. I also filtered out any man-made structures (dams, etc) from the list.

Since I first created that list, I’ve realized that that was filtering out some good places that should be returned. That’s why I included the over 5,000 springs and emailed everyone the updated file.

mm

Leave a comment:

• Treasure Joe
    replied
    So your original list did not give named thermal springs?

Leave a comment:

• minotaur_moreno
    replied
    Originally posted by JeremyP

"Dammit, Watson. You're supposed to eliminate all but one, not add more!" - Fake Sherlock
    Hahaha, I meant “springs” instead of “streams”.

I did it to increase my odds if I happen to make the bet again someday.

Leave a comment:

• minotaur_moreno
    replied

Yeah, but that's what you're betting. You're betting that [What|Where|Whatever] warm waters halt is won't end up being a GNIS. If it ends up being in the GNIS, you've got both the "what" (named geographical place) and the "where". If it ends up being in MM's GNIS list (600 out of the total 2M+ in the whole US), then you're out $1K, because the "what" and "where" are both answered. If it's not, you pick up $1K. I only added that I wouldn't take that bet because 1) WWWH is likely to be among the first two clues and 2) The first two clues are likely in the greater GNIS (no idea what's in MM's).
    I loaded all the GNIS data for Montana, Wyoming, and Colorado and just the northern counties for New Mexico. There were roughly 200k total records. If you believe the answers to the first two clues will be found on that list like I do, that means your odds are around 200,000 to 1 that you have the right WWWH (a little better if you take out any man-made structures from that list).

Not very good odds for little ole’ me, indeed!

Side Note: After thinking about everything today, I decided to add an additional tab to the excel sheet called, Springs. It gives the over 5,000 springs in the searchable area with the name, county, state, coordinates, elevation, and map for each place. I’ve emailed the updated file to everyone that has already purchased.

mm
    Last edited by minotaur_moreno; 06-08-2019, 06:16 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Must Listengood
    replied
    Please continue the What vs Where debate while I go pick up the treasure. Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• kpro
    replied
    Wouldn’t the bet still be the same?

If the correct solve is on MM’s WWWH list, then it is a named place of a water feature. Therefore MM would win.
    If the correct sovle is as Sean’s suggests, it would not be on MM list, therefore Sean would win?

Though you both had different nuances to the bet, I can’t see how the outcome would change even with the new bet.

Leave a comment:

• ROLL TIDE
    replied
    Originally posted by Seannm View Post
    what warm waters halt is won’t be found on any GNIS.
    Totally agree, 100%.

Leave a comment:

• Seannm
    replied
    Seannm I don't know how inclusive his GNIS list is, but that's a tough bet Sean I wouldn't take it, based on how quickly the first two clues were solved and the little girl in India who couldn't get past the first two clues while having a map of the Rockies. Named places seem pretty likely answers to the first two clues.
    Jeremy,

There is a huge different between figuring out the first two clues and what warm waters halt is. And in my interpretation what warm waters halt is won’t be found on any GNIS.

Seannm

Leave a comment:

• Imeverybodynow
    replied
    Originally posted by minotaur_moreno View Post
    $1,000 Bet Minotaur Moreno's 600 Name List Has W.W.W.H.

Minotaur Moreno and The Flip Side have bet $1,000 that Minotaur Moreno's list does or doesn't have W.W.W.H. on it.

If the chest is found, the solution is given, and W.W.W.H. is on Minotuar's list, The Flip Side will be expected to pay $1,000 dollars to Minotaur Moreno. If it isn't, Minotaur Moreno is expected to pay $1,000 to The Flip Side.

If the chest is found and solution not given, both are in the clear.

This post locks in our bet.

mm
    What if I find it and don’t tell any of you wwwh or the solution? I 100% won’t say my solution, but I probably wouldn’t mind telling you the right wwwh

Leave a comment:

• minotaur_moreno
    replied
    Originally posted by Seannm View Post
    MM,

Again the bet as I was to believe it was focused on the what warm waters halt is not being found on your list.

If if one believes the first clue is only the line: begin it where warm waters halt, then they will focus on trying to identify what that is, and then based upon that subjective idea they will then try force fit the remaining clues.

I have have not purchased your list and do not indent to, no offense. But I believe you may have put a lot of effort into compiling a list of geographically named areas based upon a subjective opinion of what you believe warm waters halt is.

So so again my bet was that what warm waters halt is would not be on your list of geographical names places.

Seannm
    Yeah, that's definitely not what I thought we were betting. No worries and no bet then.

Leave a comment:

• 5-leaf Blaze
    replied
    That's awesome and a fairly deep commitment, wow

Leave a comment:

• Seannm
    replied
    MM,

Again the bet as I was to believe it was focused on the what warm waters halt is not being found on your list.

If if one believes the first clue is only the line: begin it where warm waters halt, then they will focus on trying to identify what that is, and then based upon that subjective idea they will then try force fit the remaining clues.

I have have not purchased your list and do not indent to, no offense. But I believe you may have put a lot of effort into compiling a list of geographically named areas based upon a subjective opinion of what you believe warm waters halt is.

So so again my bet was that what warm waters halt is would not be on your list of geographical names places.

Seannm

Leave a comment:

Working...
X