No announcement yet.

$1,000 Bet Minotaur Moreno's 600 Name List Has WWWH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please continue the What vs Where debate while I go pick up the treasure. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyP

Yeah, but that's what you're betting. You're betting that [What|Where|Whatever] warm waters halt is won't end up being a GNIS. If it ends up being in the GNIS, you've got both the "what" (named geographical place) and the "where". If it ends up being in MM's GNIS list (600 out of the total 2M+ in the whole US), then you're out $1K, because the "what" and "where" are both answered. If it's not, you pick up $1K. I only added that I wouldn't take that bet because 1) WWWH is likely to be among the first two clues and 2) The first two clues are likely in the greater GNIS (no idea what's in MM's).
      I loaded all the GNIS data for Montana, Wyoming, and Colorado and just the northern counties for New Mexico. There were roughly 200k total records. If you believe the answers to the first two clues will be found on that list like I do, that means your odds are around 200,000 to 1 that you have the right WWWH (a little better if you take out any man-made structures from that list).

Not very good odds for little ole’ me, indeed!

Side Note: After thinking about everything today, I decided to add an additional tab to the excel sheet called, Springs. It gives the over 5,000 springs in the searchable area with the name, county, state, coordinates, elevation, and map for each place. I’ve emailed the updated file to everyone that has already purchased.

mm
      Last edited by minotaur_moreno; 06-08-2019, 06:16 PM.
      If you would like to know my W.W.W.H., get a list of over 600 G.N.I.S. potential ones, and another list of 5,000 searchable springs with coordinate information, you can literally buy it here for $25: https://www.ebay.com/itm/283499665615

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyP

"Dammit, Watson. You're supposed to eliminate all but one, not add more!" - Fake Sherlock
        Hahaha, I meant “springs” instead of “streams”.

I did it to increase my odds if I happen to make the bet again someday.
        If you would like to know my W.W.W.H., get a list of over 600 G.N.I.S. potential ones, and another list of 5,000 searchable springs with coordinate information, you can literally buy it here for $25: https://www.ebay.com/itm/283499665615

Comment

So your original list did not give named thermal springs?
          "It is fun to arrange words in such a way that you have to smile at the end of a sentence." - Forrest Fenn

Comment

Originally posted by Treasure Joe View Post
            So your original list did not give named thermal springs?
            To make the list of 200k more manageable, I choose to use keywords like hot, warm, fria, content, cold, cool, and many others. If the place contained those words anywhere in the name, it was returned. I also filtered out any man-made structures (dams, etc) from the list.

Since I first created that list, I’ve realized that that was filtering out some good places that should be returned. That’s why I included the over 5,000 springs and emailed everyone the updated file.

mm

Comment

Originally posted by minotaur_moreno View Post

To make the list of 200k more manageable, I choose to use keywords like hot, warm, fria, content, cold, cool, and many others. If the place contained those words anywhere in the name, it was returned. I also filtered out any man-made structures (dams, etc) from the list.

Since I first created that list, I’ve realized that that was filtering out some good places that should be returned. That’s why I included the over 5,000 springs and emailed everyone the updated file.

mm
              Just one silly question:

What if ... WWWH is a man-made structure?

Comment

Originally posted by M.c.B. View Post

Just one silly question:

What if ... WWWH is a man-made structure?
                I could be wrong about all man-made structures. I know I filtered out dams. I can check when I get home tonight and post. I know it’s more than just dams, though.

Comment

Working...
                X