X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BenFoley
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Pilot View Post
    Ben, thank you for sharing. It looks like you've put in a lot of work, thinking, time, and money, resulting in your posted report. Good luck to you.

If the TC is not found there this summer (and reported thusly), what will you do? Will you maintain the option of a future search trip to that place?
    Thanks Pilot. I haven't dug in that spot, but I didn't believe it would be buried without some sort of indication on site. I can't justify going back for the time being.
    Last edited by BenFoley; 06-07-2019, 08:38 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Old Pilot
    replied
    Ben, thank you for sharing. It looks like you've put in a lot of work, thinking, time, and money, resulting in your posted report. Good luck to you.

If the TC is not found there this summer (and reported thusly), what will you do? Will you maintain the option of a future search trip to that place?

Leave a comment:

• Zapster
    replied
    Originally posted by BenFoley View Post

I believe the Little girl from India is highly open to interpretation - Forrest has stated that in theory 8 clues of the poem can be solved from home.
    Little Indy is indeed one of the best creations of Jenny, but Forrest has never said or written that 8 clues can be solved from home. What he *has* implied is that ALL of the clues can be solved from home, but not in practice--that a physical presence is required to complete the solve. Since all the clues can ~theoretically~ be solved from home, that tells me a lot.

Leave a comment:

• BenFoley
    replied
    Originally posted by thehomeofBrown.com View Post
    Amazing work and thank you for sharing. I love reading through others logic and seeing the ideas that they put together. The 8.25 distance between GPS (Grand Prismatic Spring) and MJ (Madison Junction) was something I've never read before and it's very original. I think the weakest point in this solution is no place for the meek since it's non-essential to following the path.
    Pleasure

Leave a comment:

• thehomeofBrown.com
    replied
    Amazing work and thank you for sharing. I love reading through others logic and seeing the ideas that they put together. The 8.25 distance between GPS (Grand Prismatic Spring) and MJ (Madison Junction) was something I've never read before and it's very original. I think the weakest point in this solution is no place for the meek since it's non-essential to following the path.

Leave a comment:

• minotaur_moreno
    replied
    Originally posted by BenFoley View Post

Hi Minotaur, I have read your WWWH essay which was well written indeed - I believe for obvious reasons your solution has merit. I appreciate and welcome criticism.

A creek can be defined as a tributary of a river and The Gibbon it is a major tributary of the Madison River, which itself is a tributary of the Missouri River.

I believe the Little girl from India is highly open to interpretation - Forrest has stated that in theory 8 clues of the poem can be solved from home.
    Completely agree w/ you those are very fair counterpoints to the points I made.

Again, great job!

mm

Leave a comment:

• BenFoley
    replied
    Originally posted by minotaur_moreno View Post
    BenFoley , I really enjoyed it. You're obviously very intelligent and it is evident you have put quite a bit of thought into this.

Regardless of if I do or don't agree with your solution location/area, looking strictly on what you wrote, your reasoning, and logic, here were the only two items I found myself questioning while reading it:

1. If creek is the appropriate name for the Gibbons River, why is it named the Gibbons River?
    2. Using your solution, the little girl from India can get to 'Look quickly down, your quest to cease' from home. Are you saying that is the second clue?

All that said, that was me really trying to be overly critical of your solution and pick it apart. I feel it is very well done and definitely worth the read! Nice work!

mm
    Hi Minotaur, I have read your WWWH essay which was well written indeed - I believe for obvious reasons your solution has merit. I appreciate and welcome criticism.

A creek can be defined as a tributary of a river and The Gibbon it is a major tributary of the Madison River, which itself is a tributary of the Missouri River.

Leave a comment:

• minotaur_moreno
    replied
    BenFoley , I really enjoyed it. You're obviously very intelligent and it is evident you have put quite a bit of thought into this.

Regardless of if I do or don't agree with your solution location/area, looking strictly on what you wrote, your reasoning, and logic, here were the only two items I found myself questioning while reading it:

1. If creek is the appropriate name for the Gibbons River, why is it named the Gibbons River?
    2. Using your solution, the little girl from India can get to 'Look quickly down, your quest to cease' from home. Are you saying that is the second clue?

All that said, that was me really trying to be overly critical of your solution and pick it apart. I feel it is very well done and definitely worth the read! Nice work!

mm
    Last edited by minotaur_moreno; 06-06-2019, 07:58 PM.

Leave a comment:

• BenFoley
    replied
    Originally posted by Seannm View Post
    Takes a lot to put yourself and one's ideas out there for others. I commend you for that.

Seannm
    It does indeed Seann, especially in the crazy Chase!

Leave a comment:

• BenFoley
    replied
    Originally posted by SallyColorado View Post
    Very nice write up. I'm not clear on your blaze....is it the Chocolate Pots or ??? There is a perfect iron slide thermal area on the south side of the river as well. I have searched that area extensively using Chocolate Pots as HOB but an entirely different WWWH. Sadly, I came to the realization that there is no sagebrush in the near vicinity, only lodgepole pine. Additionally, I think that after the "put-in" there is only one way in and out of the hiding place (meaning you wont drive by it from different directions). I had hoped it was Secret Valley but after multiple searches I no longer think so. Additionally, you and I and others arrived at the same general area using very different WWWH; indicating to me at least that neither of us "solved" correctly. Sadly, because I love that area. I had a very close and need I say terrifying encounter and with a large Grizz less than a week ago at the Gibbon Rapids just east of Chocolate Pots. He was one of 7 grizz and 1 black that I saw in 24 hours. Luckily the other sightings were from my vehicle! Bring bear spray and know how to use it. A tip....spray downward. You want the aerosolized gas to move up into his face. Late May early June is an incredible time to be in Yellowstone. It's back to the drawing board, at least for me. I do like Grand Prismatic as WWWH. Gorgeous and it fits. Thank you for sharing....dont give up!
    Many thanks Sally! The blaze is the image in the document - just before chocolate pots. I don't believe it's a coincidence that so many people have a solution in this area especially considering the 8.25 miles North being at the same spot. You're lucky you saw 8, I've never seen 1!
    Last edited by BenFoley; 06-06-2019, 07:15 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Seannm
    replied
    Takes a lot to put yourself and one's ideas out there for others. I commend you for that.

Seannm

Leave a comment:

• SallyColorado
    replied
    Very nice write up. I'm not clear on your blaze....I take it that you are just downstream from the Chocolate Pot and you have waded the river ??? There are indeed huge log jams in that area so that is an interesting idea. There is a perfect iron slide thermal area on the south side of the river as well. I have searched that area extensively using Chocolate Pots as HOB but an entirely different WWWH. Sadly, I came to the realization that there is no sagebrush in the near vicinity, only lodgepole pine. Additionally, I think that after the "put-in" there is only one way in and out of the hiding place (meaning you wont drive by it from different directions). I had hoped it was Secret Valley but after multiple searches I no longer think so. Additionally, you and I and others arrived at the same general area using very different WWWH; indicating to me at least that neither of us "solved" correctly. Sadly, because I love that area. I had a very close and need I say terrifying encounter and with a large Grizz less than a week ago at the Gibbon Rapids just east of Chocolate Pots. He was one of 7 grizz and 1 black that I saw in 24 hours. Luckily the other sightings were from my vehicle! Bring bear spray and know how to use it. A tip....spray downward. You want the aerosolized gas to move up into his face. Late May early June is an incredible time to be in Yellowstone. It's back to the drawing board, at least for me. I do like Grand Prismatic as WWWH. Gorgeous and it fits. Thank you for sharing....dont give up!
    Last edited by SallyColorado; 06-06-2019, 07:04 PM.

Leave a comment:

• BenFoley
    replied
    Originally posted by Countryboy
    Hey Ben, welcome to the site..

Nicely played out solution Ben, many have began at the same starting point but I think this is the first I've read going towards Gibbon falls.
    I can't remember exactly when students asked Forrest if water high was a waterfall? Forrest's reply was something like, (why are you guys stuck on waterfalls?) So IMO "based on Forrest's reply" a waterfall is not waters high.
    may I ask why you are posting your solve? No plans on a future BOTG? Nice theory though. .
    No plans on a future BOTG Countryboy. Appreciate your feedback.

Leave a comment:

• BenFoley
    replied
    Originally posted by 1keyword View Post
    Good job on the presentation.. I didnt know you could do that with dropbox, Looks like something I want to use presenting my solve (solution). Thanks for sharing..
    Thanks Keyword!

Leave a comment:

• 1keyword
    replied
    Good job on the presentation.. I didnt know you could do that with dropbox, Looks like something I want to use presenting my solve (solution). Thanks for sharing..

Leave a comment:

Working...
X