Imagination and Knowledge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wraith14u View Post
    As I was going to St. Ives, I met a man with seven wives, Each wife had seven sacks, Each sack had seven cats, Each cat had seven kits: Kits, cats, sacks, and wives, How many were there going to St. Ives?

It's indeterminate, based solely on that riddle. What else ya got? The answer I already know.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pilot View Post

It's indeterminate, based solely on that riddle. What else ya got? The answer I already know.

"
      Sweetest of sound, in orchestra heard,
      Yet in orchestra never have been,
      Bird in light plumage, yet less like a bird,
      Nothing in nature has ever been seen,
      On earth I expire, in water I die,
      Yet I run, swim and fly,
      If I cannot be guessed by a boy or a man,
      A girl or a woman I certainly can!
      "
      "If you think it could not have been put there, your probably right. f " https://youtu.be/St6jyEFe5WM

Comment

Originally posted by Wraith14u View Post

"
        Sweetest of sound, in orchestra heard,
        Yet in orchestra never have been,
        Bird in light plumage, yet less like a bird,
        Nothing in nature has ever been seen,
        On earth I expire, in water I die,
        Yet I run, swim and fly,
        If I cannot be guessed by a boy or a man,
        A girl or a woman I certainly can!
        "
        A wave

Comment

Are there different versions of this old riddle?
          https://www.unmyst3.com/2014/07/the-...lberforce.html
          http://journalpulp.com/2014/05/08/14...-never-solved/
          Not sure "run" is a part of it. Unless this is a slightly different riddle.
          Last edited by Bob823; 06-17-2019, 08:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob823 View Post
            Are there different versions of this old riddle?
            https://www.unmyst3.com/2014/07/the-...lberforce.html
            http://journalpulp.com/2014/05/08/14...-never-solved/
            Not sure "run" is a part of it. Unless this is a slightly different riddle.
            A wave is clearly the wright answer to the correct version of the riddle.

Doesn't that answer resonate with you Bob?

Comment

Originally posted by NoStaticAtALL_IN_hi-deaf View Post

A wave is clearly the wright answer to the correct version of the riddle.

Doesn't that answer resonate with you Bob?
              My opinion on that wavers. It has it peaks and troughs. Could it be a wave and really matter? I mean, it could be the wright answer, or even the right answer. Or the answer could be orca, as others think. My own opinion is that we will have to resurrect Wilberforce and ask him for his answer. Which, by analogy, raises a question as to what happens when Fenn dies and no one knows the correct location of the TC.
              Last edited by Bob823; 06-17-2019, 09:44 AM.

Comment

Well; I think you need an amplitude adjustment; Bob.

I suppose, if, God forbid, Forrest were to die and no one knew the location; people would keep searching for it. I don't think it's a very good analogy though; because I gave you the wright answer to the other riddle; but even if I had the correct solve to Forrest's poem I couldn't give that to you; sorry.

I think Will Hunting potentially had the answer you're looking for to resurrect Wilberforce; it involved smelling salts and a heater. If that doesn't revive him; try jumper cables; you might want to use an AC power source.

I would be happy to hear any argument against "A wave" being the right answer to the Wilberforce riddle; because I think it is. I doubt a valid argument against it could be formulated though; I did work on it for several minutes; so it's probably bullet-proof(JK).
                Last edited by NoStaticAtALL_IN_hi-deaf; 06-17-2019, 04:35 PM.

Comment

Seriously though; "A wave"

1) Sweetest of sound, in orchestra heard,
                  2) Yet in orchestra never have been,
                  3) Bird in light plumage, yet less like a bird,
                  4) Nothing in nature has ever been seen,
                  5) On earth I expire, in water I die,
                  6) Yet I run, swim and fly,
                  7) If I cannot be guessed by a boy or a man,
                  8) A girl or a woman I certainly can!

1) sound waves; pretty straightforward
                  2) A wave has never been part of an orchestra; sound waves are created by the orchestra
                  3) The colorful plumage of a bird requires light waves to be seen
                  4) You can't see the light "waves" themselves
                  5) Light waves don't travel through earth; they cease to be valid; light waves traveling in water eventually dissipate or die off
                  6) Waves "swim" in water and "fly" through the air; waves do run; running = pass quickly in a particular direction
                  7) If waving at a boy or a man; they may not know what the wave meant
                  8) If waving at a girl or a woman they would most certainly would know why (140 years ago)

I don't have time right now to correct this but earth and water has to do with lightning (electromagnetic waves)
                  when they hit earth they ex-pyre causing fire and death and when they hit water they die out or cause death if someone is standing in the water
                  And women vs men has to do with women's intuition (women being on a different wavelength)
                  Last edited by NoStaticAtALL_IN_hi-deaf; 06-17-2019, 06:33 PM.

Comment

This is a serious post, I know it's unrelated to the Chase but the challenge was posted by Wraith and I believe I have solved the riddle and would appreciate feedback from some smart people here on the forum. Thank You

Here is my updated explanation of how "waves" are the answer to the "previously" unsolved Wilberforce riddle:

1) Sweetest of sound, in orchestra heard,
                    2) Yet in orchestra never have been,
                    3) Bird in light plumage, yet less like a bird,
                    4) Nothing in nature has ever been seen,
                    5) On earth I expire, in water I die,
                    6) Yet I run, swim and fly,
                    7) If I cannot be guessed by a boy or a man,
                    8) A girl or a woman I certainly can!

1) Sound is created by waves travelling through the air
                    2) Waves have never been part of an orchestra; sound waves are created by an orchestra
                    3) The colorful plumage of a bird requires light waves to be seen
                    4) You can't see nothing; without light waves there is nothing to see
                    5) when lightning (electro-static/electromagnetic waves) hits earth they ex-pyre or cause to give off fire and death and when they hit water they die out without causing fire but also could cause death if someone is standing in the water
                    6) Waves "swim" in water and "fly" through the air; waves do run; running = pass quickly in a particular direction
                    7) If someone waves at a boy or a man; they may not know what the wave meant
                    8) If someone waves at a girl or a woman they most certainly would know what the wave meant because women's intuition means women are on a different wavelength

Edit:
                    7 & 8) A woman's intuition puts them on a different wavelength.

Wraith14u ,
                    What do you think of my answer since you posted the riddle?
                    Last edited by NoStaticAtALL_IN_hi-deaf; 06-18-2019, 02:56 PM.

Comment

Here is my interpretation for the other version of the poem found by Bob823:
                      1. I’m the sweetest of sounds in Orchestra heard,
                      2. Yet in Orchestra never was seen.
                      3. I’m a bird of gay plumage, yet less like a bird,
                      4. Nothing ever in Nature was seen.
                      5. Touch the earth I expire, in water I die,
                      6. In air I lose breath, yet can swim and can fly;
                      7. Darkness destroys me, and light is my death,
                      8. And I only keep going by holding my breath.
                      9. If my name can’t be guessed by a boy or a man,
                      10. By a woman or girl it certainly can.
                      1. Sound is created by waves travelling through the air
                      2. You can't see sound waves in the orchestra only hear them
                      3. The gay(brightly colored) plumage of a bird requires light waves to be seen; light waves fly through the air and are what your eyes see but aren't the actual bird
                      4. You can't see nothing; without light waves there is nothing to see
                      5. when lightning (electro-static/electromagnetic waves) hits earth they ex-pyre or cause to give off fire and death and when they hit water they die out without causing fire but also could cause death if someone is standing in the water
                      6. Sound waves travel through and dissipate(or lose breath) in air but waves "swim" in water and "fly" through the air
                      7. Darkness destroys or is the end of light waves; all matter is energy and eventually converted to light or electromagnetic waves
                      8. When you're "holding your breath" you're waiting for something to happen; a wave of anticipation is building
                      9. If someone waves at a boy or a man; they may not know what the wave meant
                      10. If someone waves at a girl or a woman they most certainly would know what the wave meant because women's intuition means women are on a different wavelength
                      Edit:
                      9 & 10) A woman's intuition puts them on a different wavelength.
                      Last edited by NoStaticAtALL_IN_hi-deaf; 06-18-2019, 02:58 PM.

Comment

As Bob pointed out, there are several versions. Here is yet another . . .

I'm the loudest of voices in orchestra heard
                        But yet in an orchestra never was seen;
                        I'm a bird of gay plumage, but less like a bird
                        Nothing in Nature ever has been.
                        Touching earth I expire, in water I die,
                        In earth I lose breath. I can swim, I can fly.
                        Darkness destroys me and light is my death;
                        I can't keep alive without stopping my breath.
                        If my name can't be guessed by a boy or a man,
                        By a girl or a woman it certainly can.
                        Contentment is the greatest treasure.
                        ~ Lao Tzu

Comment

Originally posted by ROLL TIDE View Post
                          As Bob pointed out, there are several versions. Here is yet another . . .

I'm the loudest of voices in orchestra heard
                          But yet in an orchestra never was seen;
                          I'm a bird of gay plumage, but less like a bird
                          Nothing in Nature ever has been.
                          Touching earth I expire, in water I die,
                          In earth I lose breath. I can swim, I can fly.
                          Darkness destroys me and light is my death;
                          If my name can't be guessed by a boy or a man,
                          By a girl or a woman it certainly can.
                          Thanks for the reply RT.
                          I posted interpretations for the two versions of the riddle that were previously posted here using "waves" as the answer. The only difference in the one you posted is this line:
                          which can also be explained by a wave of anticipation is kept alive by holding your breath.

What do you think about "waves" being the correct answer to the riddle?
                          Last edited by NoStaticAtALL_IN_hi-deaf; 06-18-2019, 01:23 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the reply RT.
                            I posted interpretations for the two version of the riddle that were previously posted here using "waves" as the answer. The only difference in the one you posted is this line:
                            which can also be explained by a wave of anticipation is kept a live by holding your breath.

What do you think about "waves" being the correct answer to the riddle?
                            Sounds better than anything I can come up with.
                            ~ Lao Tzu

Comment

Originally posted by ROLL TIDE View Post

Sounds better than anything I can come up with.
                              Thanks. Does the explanation to any part sound weak to you?

Comment

Thanks. Does the explanation to any part sound weak to you?
                                Well, since you asked, 9 and 10 would probably be the only ones I might question.
                                But like I said, sounds better than anything I can come up with to fit all of them.
                                ~ Lao Tzu

Comment

Working...
                                X