Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rmx63 View Post

Basket: a container used to hold or carry things

Many of these terms also basically can be referred to as a vessel or a container to hold things....basket...OR....canasta
    I finally had some time to go through my notes....basket...

Canasta (card game)
    Cradle (part of the words omitted from TTOTC epigram)
    Chaise (homophone of chase)
    Keep from falling (Catcher in the Rye)

Comment

If you stay home and play canasta with your significant other, I would like to point out that you deal each player 15 cards.

Comment

Originally posted by CRM114 View Post
        Canasta / WWWH by @OH pretty obscure, but yeah

Holden Caulfield played Canasta
        He probably also drank water.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboyrocker View Post
          The Catcher in the Rye is one of my alltime favorite books and one of only two I've read more than once and in different languages (in fact the German Translation by Heinrich Boell is quite boring!). My guess is it does not contain too many hints but explains his motives. Holden always dreams of a rye field with all those children playing in it. At the end of this field is a cliff and every child would fall down somewhen so Holden entitles himself to be the one who catches all them Kids before they could fall down. The cliff symbolizes the step into adulthood and Holden who is unhappy while falling off this cliff (or does not want to fall off) wants to prevent all children from growing up. You can transcript that to the chase… Forrest is the Catcher and we are the children! Don't grow up, at least not completely! Keep a big piece of childhood in you to follow his footsteps... stay 14 with x years of experience… that's all IMO
          Reminds me of Peter Pan, I tink.

Comment

Elsewhere, someone posted about the origin of "clue".....clew.....a clew being a ball of string or yarn.

Here is a 'what if...' to consider......what if there are nine 'clews' to solve?

Each 'clew' wound tightly in the poem, needing to be unraveled, then the next, until all nine are done?

That may help explain why the words in the poem can be taken so many different ways - maybe we're supposed to take them all those different ways?

Comment

If you are brave and in the wood

Wood is timber
              Timber is from Old English timber "building, structure," later "building material, trees suitable for building," and "wood in general"

Timbers are pieces of wood composing the frame of a ship's hull.

Shiver me timbers.

Timber is also a warning before felling a tree, "timber".....look out below.

Comment

‘Lumber jacks’ would go into a forest in teams of two or three, select and saw and chop until a tree would fall. Then they would go out calling for the horse or bullock ‘Snicking’ teams to extract the lumber. They would be in competition with other lumber jacks for the few Snicking teams. They would want to get their attention as far away and as quickly as possible and they would call out through the forest that they had a log ready for extraction. What they would call is ‘Timber” as in I have some timber (as a consequence of felling a tree) come and get it.

*Broadly speaking ‘Lumber’ is wood still in the round as in very tree like. ‘Timber’ is wood that has, or is about to be, milled. That is ‘squared’ into useful dimensions. A ‘Jack’ is a name for any unskilled** but useful laborer. So Lumberjack, is a manual laborer who works in lumber. A bit like a cowboy.

**Unskilled in the sense of no academic skill or learning. In actuality, now-a-days and back in the day, lumberjacking is very skilled work, and practical.

When you're out in the woods, and chop down a tree, you can just say “Timber!” and any person in the area can infer all information from just one word....get out of the way!

Comment

Jack...

Jolly Roger, pirate flag
                  Coin, scratch, gold
                  Diddly, nothing
                  Hike, boost, lift, pull up
                  Jackass, donkey, fool
                  Lever, bar, binder
                  Pennant, standard, streamer
                  Ram, crash, plunge, wedge
                  Sailboat, clew, gallery
                  Sailor, cadet, tar, salt

Comment

Originally posted by RahRah View Post
                    Jack...

Jolly Roger, pirate flag
                    Coin, scratch, gold
                    Diddly, nothing
                    Hike, boost, lift, pull up
                    Jackass, donkey, fool
                    Lever, bar, binder
                    Pennant, standard, streamer
                    Ram, crash, plunge, wedge
                    Sailboat, clew, gallery
                    Sailor, cadet, tar, salt
                    Rah Rah Sis Boom Bah
                    https://www.dictionary.com/browse/sis-boom-bah

Comment

As I was going to St. Ives, I met a man with seven wives, Each wife had seven sacks, Each sack had seven cats, Each cat had seven kits: Kits, cats, sacks, and wives, How many were there going to St. Ives?

"If you think it could not have been put there, your probably right. f " https://youtu.be/St6jyEFe5WM

Comment

Here's something strictly as a lesson in Imagination can you figure it out?

Today I watched the route of a flower
                        it rose into the air
                        The wind blew and I could not hear
                        Oh the sweet smell of the flower
                        that was in the air

should be easy but who knows. There are no hidden meanings and it is straight forward

Comment

Originally posted by JChere View Post
                          Here's something strictly as a lesson in Imagination can you figure it out?

Today I watched the route of a flower
                          it rose into the air
                          The wind blew and I could not hear
                          Oh the sweet smell of the flower
                          that was in the air

should be easy but who knows. There are no hidden meanings and it is straight forward
                          A petal project?

Comment

Originally posted by Wraith14u View Post
                            As I was going to St. Ives, I met a man with seven wives, Each wife had seven sacks, Each sack had seven cats, Each cat had seven kits: Kits, cats, sacks, and wives, How many were there going to St. Ives?

Just one, you. the others were met along the way but may not have been going to St. Ives.

Comment

A Rose and a Baby Ruth; 1956, music and words by John Loudermilk

Comment

Originally posted by RahRah View Post
                                A Rose and a Baby Ruth; 1956, music and words by John Loudermilk

Well isn't that just a fancy coincidence lol

Comment

Working...
                                X