• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rmx63 View Post

Basket: a container used to hold or carry things
    Halt:
    comes from the Old High German
    haltmachen
    , which means "to hold."

Forrest's interpretation of "warm" is comfortable, if you are secure about your feelings and emotional well being you're comfortable or content. Opposite would be insecure or depressed.
    "My self confidence was really down at the bottom" Pg 13 TTOTC
    "Then one night,after the probability of my fate had finally hit bottom" Pg 129 TTOTC
    The rain with Borders symbolizes gloomy or dreary feelings …. not attending college. After reading them he tossed them in the trash and reinforced his belief that he had not missed out on anything.
    Rained again after J.d died...a book which he did enjoy and the Robert Redford was over the fact Robert Redford and Forrest are probably very similar people and most likely friends.
    Another time it rained was when his ball of string went missing...his mom didn't answer,she just kept nodding(
    draw or direct attention to someone or something by moving one's head)
    and looking out the window( a means of observing and learning about something)
    Right after this short story of his string ball ends..." And then I got cancer"
    Warm waters halt in a depression. The whole idea of this hunt came to be from his emotional state...That's why it's BEGIN it where warm waters halt.."Look at the big picture."There are no short cuts....Begin at the beginning!
    Depression is a low valley or hollow,bowl,sink,hole,basin or kettle.
    Many of these terms also basically can be referred to as a vessel or a container to hold things....basket...OR....canasta
    Sorry if I kind of rambled,I wanted to share some of my thoughts on this without giving out too much of my ideas.

thank you

Never share your secret with anybody. It will destroy you. -Chanakya

Comment

Originally posted by RahRah View Post
      My husband has another vacation coming up and we're trying to decide where to go - we really like the fit of our area, but doubts creep in now and then that I may have the wrong WWWH and we're spinning our wheels where we are; hence the thread to lay out some of what I have noticed lately in trying to hone in on what I'm missing.
      How many clues do you think you have correctly solved? If your WWWH doesn't have a "canyon" nearby, you may have the wrong "WWWH" in mind. I don't mind giving advice regarding how to solve the poem, but am reluctant to give too much specific info about my specific solve, as long as there's a search trip in my future. Good luck.
      Last edited by Old Pilot; 05-29-2019, 01:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by CRM114 View Post
        Canasta / WWWH by @OH pretty obscure, but yeah

Holden Caulfield played Canasta
        A wry observation, perhaps . . .

Comment

Zapster Yes, can understand your dislike of Catcher. RahRah nailed it as far as Holden.
          Sometimes I think that FF is trying to Edgar Marsalla us (but not in a particularly disrespectful manner).

Comment

Zapster Yes, can understand your dislike of Catcher. RahRah nailed it as far as Holden.
            My memory was correct about the fiend comment: Ackley is the "Canasta fiend" (chapter 7). But obviously Holden plays as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Zapster View Post

My memory was correct about the fiend comment: Ackley is the "Canasta fiend" (chapter 7). But obviously Holden plays as well.
              Mr. Fenn was very generous in offering Catcher in the Rye as a hint, IMO.

Comment

The Catcher in the Rye is one of my alltime favorite books and one of only two I've read more than once and in different languages (in fact the German Translation by Heinrich Boell is quite boring!). My guess is it does not contain too many hints but explains his motives. Holden always dreams of a rye field with all those children playing in it. At the end of this field is a cliff and every child would fall down somewhen so Holden entitles himself to be the one who catches all them Kids before they could fall down. The cliff symbolizes the step into adulthood and Holden who is unhappy while falling off this cliff (or does not want to fall off) wants to prevent all children from growing up. You can transcript that to the chase… Forrest is the Catcher and we are the children! Don't grow up, at least not completely! Keep a big piece of childhood in you to follow his footsteps... stay 14 with x years of experience… that's all IMO

Comment

“If you count a pig’s tail as a leg how many legs would the pig have?” I told her “five, of course.” She shined and said “No, a pig has four legs. Just because you count the tail as a leg doesn’t mean it is one,” and she kind of snickered. I thought that was a good analogy so we high-fived three times with our left hand.
                  So there's no leg "e" - but we still need to know leg "e" IMO.

Oh, and what's that about counting?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pilot View Post

How many clues do you think you have correctly solved? If your WWWH doesn't have a "canyon" nearby, you may have the wrong "WWWH" in mind. I don't mind giving advice regarding how to solve the poem, but am reluctant to give too much specific info about my specific solve, as long as there's a search trip in my future. Good luck.
                    I was out of town and didn't have access to my computer - I appreciate your help....I have a canyon, multiple canyons too. I'm stuck on the last step.

Comment

St. Augustine's Confessions: nam illas primas, ubi legere et scribere et numerare discitur 'for those first, where to read, and to write, and ciphering is being learned.'

Ciphering translates differently and can be defined as transposing, arguing, reckoning, a secretive method of writing, or numerating.

Comment

Semantic question: if there is only one possible interpretation of "take it in the canyon down" when you are at WWWH, would you consider "canyon down" a clue or not? On the one hand, Forrest would have to instruct you which way to go once you're standing at the starting point, but if there is only one canyon and only one direction to go, then the second clue is trivial once you've solved the first. Still, if a clue gets you closer to the chest, then by that definition even a trivial clue still counts as a clue.

I bring this up because many searchers think home of Brown is the second clue, while I consider it the fourth.

Comment

Semantic question: if there is only one possible interpretation of "take it in the canyon down" when you are at WWWH, would you consider "canyon down" a clue or not? On the one hand, Forrest would have to instruct you which way to go once you're standing at the starting point, but if there is only one canyon and only one direction to go, then the second clue is trivial once you've solved the first. Still, if a clue gets you closer to the chest, then by that definition even a trivial clue still counts as a clue.

I bring this up because many searchers think home of Brown is the second clue, while I consider it the fourth.
                          And take it in the canyon down has multiple interpretations.
                          You can view it as you are looking down into the canyon you're atop.
                          You can consider it an instruction to evaluate (take in the view) the canyon that is below you and the surrounding area.
                          You can see it as a direction, the canyon being to the south.
                          With the "and" you can take the two things - where warm waters halt AND take it in the canyon down - together to become something Fenn is saying in Fennspeak
                          Perhaps too, the entire sentence must be considered - parts to whole - to arrive at your answer.

Comment

wouldn't want to be double blind but...
                            maybe there is a catch too it? just a thought.
                            Last edited by Wraith14u; 06-10-2019, 02:52 PM.
                            "If you think it could not have been put there, your probably right. f " https://youtu.be/St6jyEFe5WM

Comment

Dancing with the Stars.....Dancing in the Moonlight.

Comment

Smell the Sunshine

Comment

Working...
                                X