Covid safety while on a search trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Covid safety while on a search trip

I recently flew from California to Arkansas, then took a road trip from Arkansas through Mississippi and Alabama, into Florida.
    Folks in those states don't seem to be very concerned about Covid. I saw relatively few masked people during this road trip.
    Now a variant of Covid appears to be spiking in Florida . . . some folks just have to learn things the hard way, it seems.

I realize that the 4 search states aren't very close to where I went recently, but I'm going to be cautious during my search
    trip this summer. It looks like Covid is going to be a big deal (and threat) for quite a while. I have no idea how clean my
    motel room (kinda near my search area) will really be, regarding the Covid virus -- so I will frequently wash my hands and
    try to avoid touching my face. And I'll wear a mask pretty much as much as possible/practical while on the motel property.

The notable thing about a virus (Covid is transmitted by a virus) is that it is extremely small. It can enter a cell of your body,
    and infect not only that cell, but can spread to neighboring cells. And antibiotics can't kill a virus. We're still learning about
    Covid, of course, and it's evolving while we try to get a handle on it. This is no laughing matter, folks; even people that have
    been vaccinated are catching this disease. But vaccinated people are at considerably less risk than those who haven't been
    vaccinated.

I urge all of you to be careful, stay masked whenever around folks who might be able to transmit the virus to you,
    and stay socially distanced. Wash your hands frequently, and avoid touching your face. And while I "have the floor",
    I might mention that things that lower your resistance to disease should be avoided. This suggests that you go easy
    on alcohol intake, for example. And for heaven's sake, if you smoke, could you please do it a bit less frequently? You
    could think of this as a favor for your fellow human beings, don'tcha know. Getting enough rest and healthful foods
    would also help, of course.

Okay, that's the end of my lecturing for now. I recently bought some new bear spray, as the stuff I bought years ago
    has expired. I understand that bears have been spotted in more than one state (not to mention craton). Cheers.
    Last edited by Old Pilot; 07-22-2021, 11:26 PM.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2020_10_02_105208_1601615428._large.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	208.6 KB
ID:	318413

Comment

https://www.ebay.com/itm/11369162239...kAAOSwf05eFtXU

Comment

Originally posted by voxpops

Oooh, that's one for the letter to Santa!
        No airplane travel needed for you Vox, you just walk across the sea bottom...but don't forget your tuna sandwiches and clean drinking water.

Comment

Get the post, but don't get the title.
          How is COVID related to the search? Search is over.

Comment

I doubt that I'll smoke less frequently, for heaven's sake .

I don't smoke around those who don't smoke.
            I don't smoke in any automobiles (not even my own) or public transportation.
            I don't smoke in public establishments, even if it is allowed.
            I don't smoke inside of my own home.
            I don't smoke inside the homes of others if non-smokers are subject to be present, even if the home is occupied by smokers.

I am very respectful and considerate of others when it comes to my choice to smoke.

I have smoked for fifty years and will still work circles around those who are a third of my age.
            I've not been to a doctor in close to thirty years.
            I don't catch colds, flu, or any other types of sickness.

I enjoy smoking and I'm not disrespecting others while doing it.

Now, are we going to say something about the chase ?
            Yes, I have a SMOKING hot solve.
            Finding Jessica

Comment

The hospital I work at has 14 people in the ICU with Covid. None of them had taken the vaccine. Almost all have the Delta variant of Covid. All are over 40 years old.

The take away is get the vaccine. Although you will never hear it from the media, and wether you like him or not...., the credit for saving millions of lives goes to Donald Trump. As President, he challenged the drug industry and paid them to try to find a vaccine that would be effective as quickly as possible. He removed regulatory roadblocks which acceralated innovation and development. His foresight and business sense allowed development of not one but two or three effective vaccines to a novel agent in less than one year. (Historical) His actions saved not only millions of American lives but hundreds of millions around the world. Sure medicine is expensive. But when you look at a dying child, cost isn't a factor for most. I think 90% of new drugs are invented in the United States.. It costs over 10 million to bring even the simplest new medicine to the market. Those that would limit what drug companies can charge are in effect starving the goose which lays golden eggs. Our current President allowed overseas companies to produce the covid vaccine without paying any royalties to the scientist and company which received a patent on new innovations which allowed massive doses of the covid vaccine to be produced. When people hear the call, work day and night,, and then are not rewarded for their talent, they have no motivation to work so hard in the future. That's the fate of communism.

If you are over sixty, you have a 10%chance of dying if you get Covid . If you get the vaccine you'll have a sore arm and not feel well for a few days. Think of it like chickenpox.
              When you are a child and get chickenpox it is no big deal and you have a fever for a few days and got to stay home from school. When an adult say 60 years old gets chickenpox it can be life threatening. The child may have 100-200 pox over their body.. The adult has thousands, all over their body. They're covered with them. I have even seen them under their eyelids. Usually they have to be hospitalized if they waited too long to go see a doctor. Nowadays we have medicine that can stop the chickenpox from proliferating. The same it not true yet for covid.

The American Indian was devastated by the common childhood diseases. None of the Indians had been exposed or got any of the childhood diseases as children. So when they were exposed to them as adults with the expansion of the pioneers in the mid 1800's, it devastated their population. If it wasn't measles it was mumps. If it wasn't chickenpox it was smallpox,,,you get it. Figure 10% of all adults dying with exposure to each childhood disease and you can. understand why it was so devastating to them.

Don'tbe like an Indian.....Get the vaccine to see another day!
              1f Billy

Comment

Originally posted by ROLL TIDE View Post

I don't smoke inside the homes of others if non-smokers are subject to be present, even if the home is occupied by smokers.

I am very respectful and considerate of others when it comes to my choice to smoke.

I have smoked for fifty years and will still work circles around those who are a third of my age.

Mr. Rolltide-

Your going to have a tough go at it at 10,200ft with the emphysema you have. Take it very slow and rest frequently. I wouldn't like to find your bones on top of the chest!
                1f Billy

Comment

We're doing a road trip when we go on vacation in late August into September - camper van, mostly self contained (no interior bathroom or shower inside, but outdoor shower); if our trip is anything like the one we took in an RV last year, we'll pretty much not have to mingle with anyone other than ourselves. I just did a trip out to NY and honestly, I was pretty shocked by how few wore masks when going inside places, in some areas we were the only ones , and we limited those forays inside to only when we needed to use the bathroom. It really is a strange world we're in these days.
                  To be right for someone, you have to be willing to be wrong for someone else.

Comment

mosquito, meet chain link fence.

Comment

Corona virus halted me in my tracks, so now a 'mammoth task'. I didnt prey for D's, yet slapped by the delta...

Hilarious!

Comment

Originally posted by Sherif Billy View Post

Mr. Rolltide-

Your going to have a tough go at it at 10,200ft with the emphysema you have. Take it very slow and rest frequently. I wouldn't like to find your bones on top of the chest!
                        1f Billy
                        Sherif,
                        I don't plan to hike at that elevation. My hike is focused in the 7,600 range, and I have no problems .
                        I took a fellow with me on my last search, he was in his twenties.
                        I was constantly having to stop and wait for him to catch up, but it gave me time to have a smoke while waiting on him.
                        Finding Jessica

Comment

Good deal! More power to you. Keep it up!
                          1f

Comment

Originally posted by ROLL TIDE View Post

You are a flaming statistical anomaly in many ways RT. I am a firm advocate of aggregate outcome analysis, but something tells me you will blow the bell curve out of the park. Fire up one for me.
                            Conservatism is the belief that a small subset of the people is protected by the law, but not bound by it, while another, larger group is bound by the law, but is not protected by it.

~ Unknown

Comment

“Now we know it. It affects elderly people. Elderly people with heart problems and other problems. But they have other problems, that’s what it really affects, that’s it. ......But it affects virtually nobody. It’s an amazing thing.”

Besides, it's a "Hoax" and

“We have it totally under control. It’s one person coming in from China, and we have it under control. It’s going to be just fine.”
                              Conservatism is the belief that a small subset of the people is protected by the law, but not bound by it, while another, larger group is bound by the law, but is not protected by it.

~ Unknown

Comment

Working...
                              X