Cipher

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ChasingDreamz View Post
    I finally figured it out last night. Still havent figured out #2 tho just to say that #2 is somehow might be connected to the upcoming #3?
    Would you be willing to share a hint for those of us still having issues with #1?

Comment

Originally posted by D.B.Cooper
      OK, I'm almost certain the key is 4 Letters.... i believe the alphabet is off, so I have been trying every alphabet there is except the Martian alphabet ... but this dude just might be Martian. I've even tried the Fremen language they speak in Dune. All hands on deck.... if i solve it, I will share it, you have my word!
      I hear ya! I fell into a Star Trek wormhole at one point...

Comment

The treasure's been found, but I still want to know what the answer was to bonus cipher #1.

Best,
        -Slashy

Comment

I apologize on an earlier post I made. I never solved #1. I accidentally hit #2 twice and didn't proof read my post before posting it. What I meant was I haven't solved #1 but I'm guessing it may have something to do with cipher #3. Again I apologize.

Comment

So now that it no longer matters... My analysis agreed with D.B.Cooper that Bonus cipher #1 was a Vigenere cipher with a 4 letter key (almost certainly 'clue') but with a phrase scrambled alphabet. Something to do with Kennedy, the Apollo program, or the like. It had those earmarks, but 20 characters is pretty unreliable.

I also looked at Playfair because Kennedy was known to use them in his PT-109 days (ROYALNEWZEALANDNAVY), but that likewise got me nowhere. There was nothing beyond that to indicate it was a Playfair, but also nothing to indicate it wasn't (other than that Vigenere with a 4 letter key indication).

Never did figure it out in the end...

Best,
            -Slashy

Comment

For those who want some closure on Bonus Cipher #1...
              RTZWS PSKYC GKYDZ AYGUW
              :: Encrypt using keyword CLUE with a Vigenere Cipher ::
              TETAU AMOAN AOAOT EAROA
              :: Google this and you get NEW ZEALAND <-- the connection to JFK and the confirmation you have the correct alphabet for Cipher #3 ::

Full Disclosure: I did not solve this. It was shared with me. I did encrypt with CLUE numerous times, but I never made the connection from gibberish to JFK.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCoyWonder View Post
                RTZWS PSKYC GKYDZ AYGUW
                TETAU AMOAN AOAOT EAROA
                :: Google this and you get NEW ZEALAND <-- the connection to JFK and the confirmation you have the correct alphabet for Cipher #3 ::

TheCoyWonder
                Full Disclosure: I did not solve this. It was shared with me. I did encrypt with CLUE numerous times, but I never made the connection from gibberish to JFK.
                Thank you for this.

Best,
                -Slashy

Comment

Sheesh, what a hot mess. I was disappointed in the quality of most of the clues, but this is ridiculous.

Best,
                  -Slashy

Comment

Originally posted by TheCoyWonder View Post
                    RTZWS PSKYC GKYDZ AYGUW
                    TETAU AMOAN AOAOT EAROA

I could buy this if you googled exactly "TETAU AMOAN AOAOT EAROA" and it came back with some relevant saying or phrase in Maori...but it doesn't.

This isn't a cipher...a cipher decodes to plaintext...this is just a wild goose chase.

Comment

Originally posted by Outkast Searcher View Post

I could buy this if you googled exactly "TETAU AMOAN AOAOT EAROA" and it came back with some relevant saying or phrase in Maori...but it doesn't.

This isn't a cipher...a cipher decodes to plaintext...this is just a wild goose chase.
                      To be fair to Mr. Clue, the encryption of the ciphertext reads "Te Taua Moana o Aotearoa" which yields "Royal New Zealand Navy" if googled. It *does* tie back. The problem is that the solver must be simultaneously knowledgeable of printed Maori and Indy sports trivia in order to make any use of it.
                      "TETAU
                      AMOA
                      NAOAO
                      TEAROA"

Just looks like gibberish to most folks, indicating a dead end. It only makes sense to someone who already knows the answer to the riddle. This is the trap Mr. Clue fell into when he put this entire hunt together; he was unable to evaluate the puzzle properly from the perspective of a person who doesn't already know the answer. He didn't recognize that the puzzle was utter garbage to everyone actually trying to solve it.

I hope he corrects this moving forward, but I'm tapping out myself. This cipher was the most egregious example of a failed clue, but only one of many. I'm not interested in investing my time and energy in a hunt of such poor quality, only to be frustrated when the answer is revealed.

Best,
                      -Slashy

Comment

Originally posted by GoSlash27 View Post

To be fair to Mr. Clue, the encryption of the ciphertext reads "Te Taua Moana o Aotearoa" which yields "Royal New Zealand Navy" if googled. It *does* tie back. The problem is that the solver must be simultaneously knowledgeable of printed Maori and Indy sports trivia in order to make any use of it.
                        "TETAU
                        AMOA
                        NAOAO
                        TEAROA"
                        He could have solved this problem by presenting the cipher as RT ZWSP SKYCG K YDZAYGUW.

But oof...that cipher is a mess.

Comment

Originally posted by Outkast Searcher View Post

He could have solved this problem by presenting the cipher as RT ZWSP SKYCG K YDZAYGUW.

But oof...that cipher is a mess.
                          Breaking it up into 5 letter groups is standard practice and even "TE TAUA MOANA O AOTEAROA" still looks like gibberish to anyone who doesn't recognize Maori. His big mistake was having the deciphered text in Maori instead of something recognizable as text. It makes perfect sense only if you already know the answer.

Best,
                          -Slashy

Comment

Originally posted by D.B.Cooper
                            I still don't get the connection between the New Zealand Royal Navy and Indianapolis. Or the connection of the sinking of PT 109, JFK to the location of the treasure. Did I forget to take my meds. Why create a cipher that has no connection to the hunt. Maybe that's the connection, the hunt was sunk at this point. Ah yes, I get it.... 69 degrees of separation from Ethel Mertz. I am the walrus Goo goo g'joob.
                            The idea was that you'd use the alphabet ROYALNEWZDVBCFGHIJKMPQSTUX on the third bonus cipher, which ended up not being needed. Ironic, because I was gonna try that on the 3rd cipher anyway even though I'd never solved the first one.

Best,
                            -Slashy

Comment

D.B. Cooper,
                              There's a variant of the Vigenere that uses a phrase- coded decryption alphabet. The alphabet is constructed like that in the Playfair, except it uses 26 letters instead of 25. ROYALNEWZDV is ROYALNEWZEALANDNAVY with the duplicate letters stripped out.

Best,
                              -Slashy

Comment

Working...
                              X