Cipher

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jminnesota View Post
    How about the most basic Colonel of all: Sanders Kentucky?
    Hmm. Is this just a guess because of digraph frequency analysis with the new cipher?

Comment

Originally posted by GoSlash27 View Post
      I tried all day, got nuthin'.
      Are you thinking it's a playfair, perhaps something related to JFK's moon speeches (where Duke of the Moon is already in play)? JFK used ROYAL NEW ZEALAND NAVY as his famous playfair key.

Comment

Originally posted by ecwaters View Post

Are you thinking it's a playfair, perhaps something related to JFK's moon speeches (where Duke of the Moon is already in play)? JFK used ROYAL NEW ZEALAND NAVY as his famous playfair key.
        Sorry, I'm a 'lone wolf' solver. I'm fairly confident about the keylength and that that the cipher is polyalphabetic. Beyond that... got nuthin'. 20 characters ain't a lot to work with, especially without an indication of the encryption method or key.

Best,
        -Slashy
        Last edited by GoSlash27; 07-04-2020, 07:41 AM.

Comment

Clue #5 - Blaise de Vigenere. Therefore, Vigenere Cipher. Polyalphabetic

Comment

Originally posted by I Love Lucy View Post
            Clue #5 - Blaise de Vigenere. Therefore, Vigenere Cipher. Polyalphabetic
            The first 2 certainly were... but the bonus cipher? I dunno. I'm still no closer to cracking that one than I was when it was released. Although judging by the comments on the video, somebody else claims that they have.
            Best,
            -Slashy
            Last edited by GoSlash27; 07-08-2020, 06:04 PM.

Comment

I read somewhere else that the keyword was 'CLUE'. Based on the last sentence in Clue #5 about his 'name'. I have not been able to solve it...Digging in to Jenny Kile's book on ciphers. Getting ready to head out on vacation. 10 hour drive ahead of me. If I can't solve it in 10 hours, I need to go back to Treasure Hunting 101.

Comment

One more thing, normally in solving a playfair cipher, there is no duplication of letters in the grid...so why the duplication of K, Y, W, S, C, G? If you add CLUE + 1 and take out the dupes, that leaves L R T Z P D A E Y. Just thinking outloud....

Comment

There's a bonus cipher #2 out now.

UWAZO
                  YZUGC
                  MXAFF
                  EBIXR

UEWMB
                  YGCSS
                  GNKWF
                  OZFYE

BIMCR
                  SUFQK
                  HZLGU
                  GJPLR

GDDPL
                  XTIGP

I had no trouble at all with this one, but still haven't cracked bonus #1.

Best,
                  -Slashy

Comment

Originally posted by I Love Lucy View Post
                    One more thing, normally in solving a playfair cipher, there is no duplication of letters in the grid...so why the duplication of K, Y, W, S, C, G? If you add CLUE + 1 and take out the dupes, that leaves L R T Z P D A E Y. Just thinking outloud....
                    I have strong reason to conclude that it's not a playfair at all, but I don't know that for a fact. 20 characters is a very small sample to make definitive statements about. Having said that... you can (and usually will) have duplicate letters in a playfair cipher, just not digrams composed of a single letter.

Best,
                    -Slashy
                    Last edited by GoSlash27; 07-12-2020, 05:12 AM.

Comment

Bonus Cipher 1: I'm still working on this one. The ties to JFK as well as the character pattern suggest PF but I've been unsuccessful with all the keys I've tried so far which include words related to the other clues, Kennedy and the space program. Can anyone confirm it's PF or the key size?
                      Last edited by X Infinity; 07-14-2020, 08:43 PM.

Comment

I'm still pretty new to working on ciphers but I'm intrigued on how they wok. I havent figured out the bonus #1 and I can only figure out the first set of letters on #2. However I'll keep woorking at it til I figure it out. Also just to confirm that I'm on the right track is it the same type of cipher that was used in previous ones? I'm assuming it is cause I did come up with a partial sentence in the first set of letters. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by X Infinity View Post
                          Bonus Cipher 1: I'm still working on this one. The ties to JFK as well as the character pattern suggest PF but I've been unsuccessful with all the keys I've tried so far which include words related to the other clues, Kennedy and the space program. Can anyone confirm it's PF or the key size?
                          It's a very small sample of ciphertext. Absolutely nothing to indicate that it's a playfair other than associated clues. No repeating or reversed digrams. No Qs, nor Xs, nor Is, nor Js. No double letters. Literally nothing to hang your hat on there. Which is not to say it's *not* a playfair. There's nothing definitive to say whether it is or isn't.
                          But having said that... if it is a Playfair, you're never ever going to crack it through analysis. It's bulletproof. It could literally say anything.

OTOH, there are other indications of the type of cipher and key length, but again... it's a very small sample so any conclusions come with a very large grain of salt. If it is what I think it is, the standard tools won't work there either (other than the key length) so it's also bulletproof.

I've learned a whole lot about what it's not, but still haven't figured out what it is.

Best,
                          -Slashy
                          Last edited by GoSlash27; 07-14-2020, 09:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ChasingDreamz View Post
                            I'm still pretty new to working on ciphers but I'm intrigued on how they wok. I havent figured out the bonus #1 and I can only figure out the first set of letters on #2. However I'll keep woorking at it til I figure it out. Also just to confirm that I'm on the right track is it the same type of cipher that was used in previous ones? I'm assuming it is cause I did come up with a partial sentence in the first set of letters. Thanks.
                            I have solved Bonus #2 and can confirm it uses the same method as the Header and About ciphers. The key is different but as he said "a little more formal".
                            Last edited by X Infinity; 07-15-2020, 12:41 AM.

Comment

I finally figured it out last night. Still havent figured out #2 tho just to say that #2 is somehow might be connected to the upcoming #3?

Comment

I"m willing to share #2 for #1.

Comment

Working...
                                X